Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

141 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 4140xmp Upgrade path  (Read 246 times)

Bisquick

• View Profile
4140xmp Upgrade path
« on: May 14, 2017, 12:47:18 PM »
Dear Forum,

I have moved into a house built in 1993 and identified it has a 4140xmp system with a 4208 (extensions?).  The system has a lot of window, door, motion, smoke, etc sensors and is in working condition. 

I was exploring my options for upgrading for new functionalities, including smartphone arm/disarm, scheduling, etc.  I found the Envisalink products but they are not compatible with my board.  I also read in this forum somewhere, that my board likely has v-plex devices attached, which apparently limits my upgrade path.  Can someone please help me clarify all of this? 

Thank you in advance!

rudyjr

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
Re: 4140xmp Upgrade path
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 05:10:59 PM »
Take a look at the thread about my system the 4140 xm a few threads down. I dont know if your system is a multiplex system or not, mine wasn't except for my smokes. The upgrade to a vista 21 ip for me worked with no hiccups at all. There seemed to be no clear path forward for me in utilizing the existing system even though it worked well. The increased functionality was worth the few hundred it took to upgrade to a new system.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 05:13:54 PM by rudyjr »

Bisquick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 05:38:13 PM »
Thanks Rudyjr, I read that thread and it was very helpful.  How can I tell if my system has v-plex sensors?  All of my window sensors are two wire, doesn't that help in determination?

rudyjr

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 01:07:05 PM »
I really don't know a whole lot about this to be honest. I know that in the early stages of my research some folks told me that my panel was. One supplier of equipment was adament that I did. After checking out my system I determind that I had 9 seperate two wire hard wired zones in my panel. I also had what I believe was a 4208 zone expander with two seperate home run two wires landed on the same shared terminals. These were zones 10 and 11 which were smoke detectors. When I pulled out the detectors they had dip switches on the back which allowed them to be addressed as two different zones. Since I needed to change out my smokes I needed to do some wiring changes to one detector to supply power to the second detector back at the panel. I swapped out one run of two wire in the panel for four wire and then connected it there in the panel to the run to the upstars detector.

Bisquick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 01:19:07 AM »
Thanks Rudy.  I'm not so concerned about the smoke detectors as I have added outside of the alarm system and have a separate means of being notified if they alarm.  I am worried about whether the other sensors (motion, window magnetic, door plungers) are v-plex or not.  I'm at a loss for how to determine what I have in that respect.

The clear and cheaper way to get what I want would seem to be the 20ip, if I have no v-plex.  If I have v-plex than the 128bpt control panel is compatible and I could add the envisalink to that.  I should note that I do not what to have a service monitor it, I would just like to self monitor. 

Thanks again in advance for any insights or advise.

rudyjr

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 09:43:03 AM »
Yes if possible then you would want a Vista 20 with Envisilink for self monitoring.