Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

143 Guests, 1 User
Flyct

Author Topic: Garage window contact nightmare - glassbreak instead?  (Read 2602 times)

Static

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Garage window contact nightmare - glassbreak instead?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2017, 03:15:20 PM »
If you've replaced the contacts and the wiring, then there isn't much left. Actually you said you used different wiring so I'm guessing the other pair in the cable? Is it possible this wire is poorly spliced somewhere? The alignment on the contact looks good but as already suggested, check for play and such in the window when it's closed and locked. Turn on your chime and leave it for a couple weeks. If you hear the chime and nobody has opened anything, then you know you have more investigating to do.

Since you've covered the basics, my only other suggestions are a bit left field: a faulty zone on the board or your loop response time. Faulty zones are quite rare but possible. Try swapping these windows to another zone and see what happens. Loop response is set in increments of 10ms(?). If your response time is very low, then possibly the contact is vibrating for whatever reason and opens long enough for the panel to respond. A response time of 10ms is only really needed on old-school shock sensors that nobody uses anymore. I routinely set my response time at about 500ms (1/2 second) or more - nobody is going to be able to open a door, get in and close it in that time; any kind of motion or glassbreak will open the zone for a couple seconds at least.
I have all the answers . . . some of them are correct.

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2017, 03:46:11 PM »
Thus my comment about intelligent burglars.  Not to mention the fact that they would need to know those particular sensors have wider gaps.
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

theTastyCat

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2017, 01:19:18 PM »
Hey all - again, so sorry for the delay!  TODAY is the day :)

So when I check for resistance, I'm keeping the window closed and measuring the two relevant wires at the panel (though disconnected from the panel) - is that basically it?

I'll definitely try another zone - luckily I've only got one left on my expander board!  Might you all remember off the top of your head how to deactivate zone 15 and enable zone 16?

I'll also change the loop response time, but I suspect that won't fix it because when I *do* hear the chime when we're both sitting in the living room (which definitely gets our attention), the zone won't clear until I actually open the window and close it again.

Might there be any merit in replacing the contact again with a non-long-reach?

Also, the "new" wiring to the panel is in a completely separate Cat6 cable, so in case there was any pinching or tree rat interference with the first one, this should have cleared it up.  Like you said, literally the *only* thing the same is the zone!  So here's to hoping :)

Again, can't thank you enough - I will be over the moon if I can get this sorted out!!

theTastyCat

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 04:17:58 PM »
Okay!  So I've got my dad's *old*, analog multimeter - I checked the resistance, and it didn't appear any different when checking the two wires as it did just touching the two multimeter leads.  I had to set it to "R1000" to get the meter to move appreciably, and if I'm understanding it right, it was right near 900 both times.

So I reprogrammed my zones, putting "00" for zone 15 and "13" for zone 16.  So now when I remove the short-circuit wire from zone 15, the system doesn't show 15 as being open, which is good, but with no wires on 16, it's not showing 16 as open.  :/  16 is set to chime and not be wireless.  Do I need to reset something or disconnect power to the panel for it to fully accept the changes?  All the other zones do appear to be behaving.

Of note might be that zones 9-16 are found on a wired expander!  And I do have a note scrawled on my original alarm master plan from three years ago that says "wired expander is currently 17-32."  Which doesn't make sense because I've only got 15 zones, and they've all been on zones 1-15 until now (that I'm trying to use 16 instead of 15.)  Any ideas?

Again, can't thank you all enough!!

theTastyCat

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2017, 04:40:43 PM »
Oh boy - I did it now.

Found my wired expander paperwork, and the jumpers *are* set for zones 9-16.  Which makes sense because zones 9-14 are all working just fine.

So in the paperwork it says:

Define the zones in sections [002]-[004], [109]-[164].  So I entered the zone defs for 9-16 in [002] and made sure everything was right in [109]-[116].  But when I finished the zone defs, there was no celebratory "be-be-be-be-be-beep" like after entering 16 zone defs in [001].  So I tried programming all 16 zone defs in [002].  Got my celebratory beeps, but now things are *wonky*.  I set the alarm on Stay and opened the front door (zone 1, zone def 01), got an entry chime, but no alarm going off.  Same thing for to other perimeter doors.  Finally a perimeter door downstairs (zone 8) set the alarm off.

So I've messed it up pretty good :)  Any idea how to correctly program my zone definitions?  Even reprogramming [001] with all 16 zones, I can still open the front door on Stay and just get an entry chime!  Happy to post my zones and defs if it would help.

Can't thank you all enough for your patience and generosity!

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2017, 05:12:44 PM »
At this point, you'll probably want to reprogram all your zones.

Relevant sections for programming zones are...

001-004 for programming the zone types (01-delay, 03- instant, 05-stay/away, 08-smokes)
202-205 for enabling zones onto partition 1

theTastyCat

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2017, 05:48:46 PM »
Yeah, that's what I'm confused about - would I program 1-8 under 001 and 9-16 under 002? And would I do that by entering the eight two-digit zone definitions for each, then hitting ##?   
Many thanks!!

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2017, 06:09:35 PM »
Correct.  Unused zones type 00 and turn the bit off in 202-205

001 zones 1-8 xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx
002 zones 9-16 same
003 zones 17-24
004 zones 25-32

202 zones 1-8 all bits on if all zones programmed
203 zones 9-16 same
204 zones 17-24
205 zones 25-32

theTastyCat

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2017, 07:47:14 PM »
Okay, so I just programmed:

[001] XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX (Zone 1-8 definitions)
#
[002] XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX (Zone 9-16 definitions)

Just did the Stay/Front door (zone 1, definition 01) test, and still just got a chime, no alarm.  So for some reason it still thinks Zone 1 is OK for stay.  Would it help if I did [001] XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 to clear everything else out?  Can't imagine why zone 1 isn't behaving as it should.

Thanks so much!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:52:33 PM by theTastyCat »

theTastyCat

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2017, 10:17:15 PM »
Sorry, edited the above to read [002] with zones 9-16 definitions.

Okay, I think I figured it out - so with the Stay test, apparently there's a (2-minute?) delay, where I can open perimeter zones up to 2 minutes after hitting Stay and it won't go off.  I feel stupid.  But that does make sense!

One thing is *very* weird, though.  When I put 1-8 definitions into [001] and 9-16 into [002], zones 9-16 wouldn't show up on the keypad when open.  I had to go back and put 1-16 all into [001] and then 9-16 started working again.

SO - I think the zones are *finally* sorted out - now I'm going to wait until tomorrow to enable 16 and get 15/16 switched out at the monitoring company and away I go all day - hoping again hope I don't get a false :)

Thanks so much all - I'll breathe a big, fat sigh of relief when this is fixed!!!

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2017, 11:00:53 PM »
I guess I should verify what panel you have, a PC5010 or a PC1832.  PC5010 groups the zones in 8 per bank 001 1-8, 002 9-16 etc.  PC1832 stores them 16 per bank 001 1-16, 002 17-32 etc.

with the Stay test, apparently there's a (2-minute?) delay

When you use 1-button arming, the system still follows your exit delay.  Therefore, if you have a 120 second exit delay, zones will not "fully arm" until the end of the exit delay, even in Stay mode.  You can change the exit delay if you wish in 005.

zones 9-16 wouldn't show up on the keypad when open

See above inquiring about your panel model.  If it is a PC1832, then you need to enter all 16 zones in 001.  Also ensure you enabled the zones in 202-205.

theTastyCat

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2017, 11:06:52 PM »
Aha!  Well that may well explain it - mine is PC1616 :)  it does appear to be working just fine.

I did hear one entry chime I wasn't expecting, which made me worry that it was our old friend The Basement Windows.

Which made me remember that I hadn't yet changed the Loop Response time; in the manual I can see to use [030] to change the response times for zones 1-8, but no further - since the zone in question is 16, any idea how to change that?

Many thanks!!  I feel like we're almost there!!

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2017, 08:28:04 PM »
I don't think loop response would change anything, but if you want to pursue it, you will need to switch zone 16 with one of the zones on the main board.  Zone response time is only available on  zones 1-8.

theTastyCat

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2017, 11:57:45 PM »
Yeah, I don't really believe that response time would help here since the zone stays open when it falses.

BUT

We've been 24 hours without a false :)

Watch it trip in 5 minutes :/

Nope - gonna be hopeful!!

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2017, 12:29:48 AM »
That's alright. Just wrapped up a recurring a.c. fail on a year old Impassa.  First trip inspected transformer, wire run (5 ft), connections and voltages.  Three days later, replaced transformer and wire run.  Four days later, replaced the unit.  Problem gone.  Power surge must have made it to the board.