Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

39 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Initial Vista 20P Programming  (Read 245 times)

Cultcab

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
Initial Vista 20P Programming
« on: August 05, 2017, 01:26:11 AM »
I have a Vista 20 that has been installed and running for several years.  I purchased a Vista 20P as a replacement so that I can add an Envisalink EVL4.

My plan is to wire the new panel the same way the old panel was wired.

I'm not entirely clear on the initial programming required once I start up the new panel.  Is this correct:

1. Power on panel
2. * and # on primary keypad within 50 seconds to set the address to 16
3. Same procedure for 2nd keypad to set it to 17
4. Start with zone programming

Are there any other steps for the initial programming?

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Initial Vista 20P Programming
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 07:49:23 AM »
No, not quite.

Pressing the *and# within 50 seconds of power-up puts the _Control Panel_ into Panel Programming Mode.
 Setting the keypad address(es) is done in each individual KP's  "Keypad Local Programming Mode", i.e., programming the options of the keypad itself and has nothing to do with panel programming.
You enter Keypad Local Programming by pressing 1 and 3 simultaneously within 60 seconds of power up. 
If you only have one Alphanumeric keypad, I would address it as 16 since it will then be active in the system  (already/permanently enabled).
Follow directions in KP Installation Instructions to address KP.
You should be ready to address the KP as soon as you press 1 and 3, because the KP will cycle out of programming mode back to Normal Operation mode if you wait too long between key entries.  It's impatient, not like panel programming.

For keypads after the 1st KP @address 16, you need to _enable_ their addresses first in panel programming.  THIS is where you need to go into Panel Programming.  You can do a power cycle to go into programming as you described, or you can use your Installer Code (faster and easier),  [IC + 800].
Look in your Installation Manual, Scan through Programming Overview (3-1) to familiarize yourself with procedure, and then go to Data Field Programming (4-1). 
Move through Data Field Programming until you reach *190 (page 4-11 in my manual) and you'll see how to ENABLE keypad addresses beyond 16. (see *190, *191, *192...through *196).  Remember, this Panel Programming does NOT _address_ the keypads, it _enables_ the address so that the panel will recognize the keypads after they're addressed in Keypad Local Programming.
You can enable as many addresses as you like, even if you're only adding a 2nd KP.  I personally enable at least 4 extra address as long as I'm already there, so if I add a KP later, it's already enabled and I don't have to go back into panel programming. There's no penalty for having addresses enabled but no corresponding KP in the system.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 07:52:53 AM by ChosunOne »

Cultcab

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 12:08:34 AM »
OK - I have completed all of the field and zone programming and now I'm troubleshooting some problems.

My hardwired zones work normally (i.e. fault when opened), but my wireless zones aren't faulting.

I have them all programmed zone type 01 or 03, partition 1, report code 10, response time 1, input device 03, the serial number, and then loop 2.

I have tried several of the zones and when I open the window, I get no faults.

The LED on the 5881ENM is flashing green.  It doesn't look like it's flashing 16 times continually (there's no break in the flashing).  All of the dips are set to off.  I tried power cycling the unit, but it's still not receiving/transmitting any faults.

Did I miss a step?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 12:50:49 AM by Cultcab »

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 05:19:24 AM »
How did you enter the ESN (Electronic Serial Number) of your sensor/transmitters ( 5816's?) for each wireless zone? The best way is by setting it up in *56 programming to receive signals from the zone sensor, then tripping the sensor twice--that way, you KNOW the panel has "learned" the right ESN for that sensor. 

Cultcab

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 02:08:11 PM »
I entered the serial numbers manually.  I tried the method of tripping the sensor twice, but the SN's won't transfer.

I'm not sure if this matters, but the sensors are all 5820L's and I have them set to Loop 1 with High Security off.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 04:05:45 PM by Cultcab »

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 04:32:00 PM »
If the SNs won't transfer by tripping during the programming process, that's a symptom of something not working properly.  For some reason the control isn't recognizing the sensor RF signals.

I'm assuming that only the Vista-20P is new, meaning that all the other peripherals (keypads, RF Receiver, anything connected to data bus (terminals 4, 5, 6, and 7) is part of the old system and therefore already confirmed to have been working before. So you know that your RF Receiver and all your existing sensors were working with the old panel.  If that isn't the case, this is the time to mention it.

A couple of years ago, it came out that _some_ sensors older than 2003 aren't compatible with _some_ newer revisions of Vista-20P panels. Here's a link to what I know about that:
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/electronic-home-security-systems-alarms-devices/551084-important-concerning-honeywell-wireless.html

This MAY be what's happening with your new panel. What revision is printed on the CPU?
Other techs on here may know more details. I'm retired now and not in the loop for updates except when it gets mentioned on DIY forums.

OTHER TECHS ARE INVITED TO JUMP IN HERE AND CONTRIBUTE. 

Cultcab

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 04:42:17 PM »
I purchased the sensors and the wireless receiver in 2013 and they have worked fine since then.  The only change here is the upgrade from the Vista 20 to the Vista 20P.

The CPU markings are:

WA20P
2014 Rev 10.23

When I initially powered on the system, I enabled the receiver and set the address as 00.  Is there anywhere else that I need to configure this (i.e. as a zone expander)?

Cultcab

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 12:25:02 AM »
I'm not sure if this adds anything to the description of the problem, but after about 3 hours of having the alarm on (i.e. after I've power cycled it), I get a check 100 RF receiver error.  I assume that this is the supervision function checking on the status of the sensors and since it's not seeing any of them, it's giving the error.

Since the feedback that I've gotten indicates that this could potentially be a problem with older 5820L's not being recognized by the new revisions of Vista 20P, I've ordered a new sensor.  When I receive that, I'll give it a try and hope that I don't have to replace all 14 sensors.

Anything else I can try to help troubleshoot this?

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 08:53:45 AM »
The Check 100 RF Receiver Error is definitely relevant.

Hmmm....I believe that sensor poll takes 12 hours after a power-up.  It sounds more like the control panel isn't seeing the 5881. Which would explain the other symptoms.

Any chance you got the T6 and T7 terminal wires (green and yellow) reversed at either end, or one of them is not making a good connection? Especially the green (T6) wire.

Cultcab

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 10:23:01 PM »
I double-checked the wiring to ensure that everything was connected correctly (black = T4, red = T5, green = T6, and yellow = T7).  Just to be sure, I removed all the wires, stripped back a little more insulation, and powered it back on.  I tried faulting a few different sensors after it came back on line, but they are still not showing in the system as open.

I purchased a new 5820L and I wasn't able to get the keypad to automatically read the S/N (open and close twice).  I entered it manually and it still won't see this sensor.

I've read some other posts about the House ID impacting the receiver operation.  Could this be the culprit?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:25:19 PM by Cultcab »

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 06:12:58 AM »
Off the top of my head, I can't think of why the *24 RF House ID Code setting should interfere with your panel recognizing signals from the 5881ENM--but in any case, *24 should be set to [00] unless you have a wireless keypad or BD (BiDirectional) key fob that you haven't mentioned.

How far is the RF Receiver from the control panel? Other than a break in the wiring, I can't think of anything else but a Receiver that picked this time to fail.

A wire break can happen in a few feet of wiring. I've seen solid-core 22AWG wire break inside its insulation, within inches of a terminal connection. It wasn't visually obvious until I scrutinized that tiny segment of wire after running my fingernail over it to feel the break.  Before condemning the receiver, try replacing the wiring between control panel and receiver. Or, if the receiver isn't next to the panel, remove it and wire it with a few feet of wire.  (Power down panel when disconnecting/reconnecting).