Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

40 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Wiring of Vista 20P Panel  (Read 96 times)

Cultcab

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
Wiring of Vista 20P Panel
« on: August 12, 2017, 05:07:43 PM »
I have an active thread going (wireless sensors not being detected), but I'm getting errors when I try to post in that thread.

Since I'm not able to get system to "see" any of the wireless sensors, I was hoping that someone could look over my wiring to make sure that I have it setup correctly.  I'm replacing a Vista 20 panel with the 20P and I intended to wire it as it was on the old panel.

Here is how it's currently wired:
T1: AC
T2: AC
T3: Red from Bell, 1st Tamper Wire (I can't identify it, but I think it's a tamper)
T4: 2nd Tamper Wire (ditto), Blacks from Bell, Motion Detectors, Keypads, and Receiver
T5: Reds from Motion Detectors, Keypads, and Receiver
T6: Greens from Keypads and Receiver
T7: Yellows from Keypads and Receiver
T8: 1st Wired Door Contact (with Resistor) - Programmed as Zone 1
T9: 2nd Wired Door Contact
T10: White from Motion Detectors - Programmed as Zone 2
T11: Green from Motion Detectors (with Resistor)
T12: Jumped Resistor to 13
T13: Jumped Resistor to 14
T14: Jumped Resistor to 13
T15: Jumped Resistor to 16
T16: Jumped Resistor to 17
T17: Jumped Resistor to 16
T18: 1st Wired Door Contact (with Resistor) - Programmed as Zone 7
T19: 2nd Wired Door Contact
T20: Green from Bell (with Resistor) - Programmed as Zone 8
T21: Brown from Telephone Line
T22: Gray from Telephone Line
T23: Green from Telephone Line
T24: Red from Telephone Line

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring of Vista 20P Panel
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 12:48:58 AM »
Your wiring description looks okay to me.

The one thing I would have done differently is land the EOL resistors on the negative (Lo) side of your zone loops.

The purpose of EOLRs at the end of the loop (last contact) is supervision against your loop wires being shorted (e.g. by a staple, nail or drywall screw; or by being abraded and/or pinched by/between metal pipes or air ducts where the wire is run in utility spaces and walls. That's rare, but it does happen. I've encountered it a few times--I'd say less than once a year while I was working (retired now).

Shorts from staples, nails, or drywall screws happen during installation and construction and nearly all of those cause their problems when the system is new. After a few years, it's more common (but still relatively rare) to see problems caused by being pinched or rubbed by metal pipes and/or ducts.

If you land the resistors on the negative side of your loop terminals, and ground your Vista panel (which it should be anyway), then your loops will be supervised against ground faults (shorts to ground) and  a pipe or duct pinching or abrading through your loop wire insulation will cause a problem that you can trace and locate, usually before it severs the wire.

As I said, this is rare, but if it does happen, you want an early warning, and landing the resistor on negative is a simple precaution. On the positive side of your loop, your resistor does nothing for you at all.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:50:46 AM by ChosunOne »