Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

170 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Upgrading Radionics D8112 & OctoPOPIT D8128s possible?  (Read 2202 times)

Rhizome

• View Profile
Upgrading Radionics D8112 & OctoPOPIT D8128s possible?
« on: August 20, 2017, 09:51:36 PM »
Hello, 
I inherited an old alarm system consisting of a Radionics D8112 control (not sure if it is a G version), Radionics Alpha II keypads (3), and 4 OctoPOPITs modules.  I have been researching alarm system because I want to learn new skills, but I might be in over my head on this one.  Let's me explain:

The alarm center has the D8112 located in one can.  Above it is another can with two punch-down blocks, surrounded by the 4 OctoPOPITs modules.  The punch-down blocks connect to the OctoPOPITs with sections providing power to the OctoPOPITs and various sensors (smoke, fire, motion detectors).  I believe the OctoPOPITs then connect to the D8112's zones (8).  If this does not make any sense, it is because there is a gazillion wires running around in the top can housing the OctoPOPITs modules and the punch-down blocks.  I get dizzy just looking at it, but I get the feeling that if I understand this stuffs, it will make perfect logical sense to me. 

This alarm has a lot of sensors.  I think this is the reason the OctoPOPITs modules were used; to cope with the number of sensors. 

Anyway, I was planing on buying a Vista 21iP control panel and 6160RF keypads to upgrade the alarm system.  Will these work with the above alarm design?  Will the OctoPOPITs output connect to the Vista 21iP and is compatible? 

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading Radionics D8112 & OctoPOPIT D8128s possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 09:04:13 PM »
You can replace the D8112 with a Vista-21iP panel with no problem, but the OctoPOPITs modules are not compatible with anything but the original panel. 

You will need to replace the OctoPOPITs with Honeywell 4219 Hardwired Zone Expander modules.
The 4219s have 8 zones like the OotoPOPITs, so it's a relatively simple trade. Be darned careful not to get the wiring mixed up while you're doing it. I always label each zone loop (if that's possible) before I disconnect it.

A 6160RF Keypad has an RF Receiver built into it.  You don't need (and can't use) two RF Receivers on your V-21iP panel, so I recommend you get one 6160RF and one 6160, assuming you want to have your RF Receiver in a keypad. From the number of zones, I infer from the number of zones that you have a large house, and a separate RF Receiver (Honeywell 5881ENH) installed in a high and central location (2nd floor closet?) might be a better idea (unless one of the keypads is in a bedroom located high and central).

Rhizome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 10:58:36 PM »
ChosunOne, thanks.  So, I tried to boot up my D8112 control panel with a new transformer (same specs as the old one).  The smoke and motion detector lights lighted up.  The Alpha II keypads made some low level siren noise for a while, then stopped, but none of the keypads lighted up no matter what I tried.  The previous owner reports system was functional before he powered down everything (i.e. disconnect the back up batteries, unpluged the transformer). 

What can be wrong with the system? 

TN DIY

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 05:07:03 PM »
Without being there to troubleshoot, there are to any variables to figure out what is wrong. I thought the 8112 was a good unit in the 80's but now it's hard to find parts for it.

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 08:38:24 PM »
I've had Radionics panels do weird things when the batteries are completely dead, or the siren output is overloaded (which will drain the batteries and cause the siren and keypads to do weird things).  If the batteries are dead or disconnected and the system goes into alarm, the system will act flaky.  You can disconnect the siren (usually the bell output A on the left-hand side of the board about halfway down the terminal strip) to ease the current load, then power the system back up.   It seems like the standard setup for old Radionics panels was an MPI-11 siren driver and massive speakers.  These do draw quite a load.  If this has been powered down for a while, the batteries are probably shot.  Start with power, then move on from there.

Radionics is decent stuff, but not DIY friendly by far.  You won't be able to make any programming changes, including disabling the dialer.  The 5200 programmer that has your panel's datalock code will be needed to change anything.

This is completely backwards from any other security system you may have used.   You'll see stuff on the keypads like point 100S, 100O, for short or open.   Each point type has a "master zone".  So if point 1 on the board (point 100) is your entry/exit zone, any other entry/exit zones on popits will be in the 100s, if memory serves.  It's been some time since I've worked on an 8112.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

Rhizome

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 11:55:32 PM »
It does not look like I can power on the old D8112 panel no matter what I try.  So, I am considering replacing it with a Vista 21ip and the appropriate keypads, zone expansion modules, etc.  Questions:

1.  I don't know how to figure out the power requirement of the OLD smoke alarms (4 wires smoke alarms), motion detectors.  I don't know their brand or model.  I don't want to over load the Vista 21ip panel and burn it up! 

2.  Will I have to change all the resistors (many!) to ones that the Vista 21ip panel require? 

How do you post pictures here?  or attach picture?

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 04:55:11 PM »
Do you have an approximate count of powered devices?  (4 wire smokes, motions, glassbreaks, keypads, etc)

An average system would be maybe, 3 or 4 smokes, 2 or 3 motions, 1 or 2 keypads, etc.  If you have a lot of devices, you can just add an additional power supply like an AL624 to the system. 
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.