Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

151 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Lyric install  (Read 281 times)

mike822

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
Lyric install
« on: September 24, 2017, 04:50:13 PM »
guys - I looked at this video showing how to fish a wire between the controller and outlet. Is that really necessary? Given the unit has backup power, can't I just leave the wiring exposed between power outlet and controller? Doing what the video suggests is very tough in my stucco home. Is this video recommended method used for better security or simply preventing someone accidentally removing the power to the unit?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=qpwKpNKL9ek

Correct me if I'm wrong but if a thief enters the home and within seconds, removes power to the controller, that would automatically alert the alarm monitoring station right

Thx

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Lyric install
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 02:32:11 AM »
That is a poor example of fishing a wire for AC.  Better to pull the trim plate off and go up from the top of the box.  I could fish that wire with much smaller holes in less than 5 minutes.

Surface mount wiring is unsightly and bad idea overall.  Fishing it is a much better method.  If you must surface mount the wiring, enclose it inside wire molding or raceway for a cleaner look.

If a burglar is going to do anything, it will be most likely smashing it.  Unless they broke in via a delay zone, most likely the panel will have already transmitted a burglary alarm.

I'm not familiar with the Lyric, but normally AC fail signal transmissions are delayed 45-60 minutes (programmable default) due to the more typical short-term power outages.
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

Sterling Donnelly

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
    • No contract alarm monitoring and DIY friendly home security!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 09:39:10 AM »
Like most Honeywell systems, the power loss reporting is randomized to send the AC loss signal to the central station up for 4 hours after the panel loses power.

However, if an intruder simply unplugs the panel's wall transformer, the battery backup will keep it powered on so that if an alarm is activated, the signal will still go out.

There is also a desk mount kit for the Lyric system (LCP500 model number) so that you could mount it on a table or desk instead of mounting it to the wall if you won't be able to fish your wire to a nearby outlet.
Alarmgrid.com offers the full line of Honeywell security equipment and no contract alarm monitoring services with plans starting at only $10/month. Come check us out to see detailed product descriptions catered towards the DIY security community.

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 02:54:43 AM »
You can tell this guy is the parts manager or something for his company.  He seriously didn't know there was an outlet box there that would get in the way?  There is no need to make a hole that big behind the panel.
You can fish that with your wet noodle along the stud where the insulation will be stapled back, or use a standard 1/8" tape instead of the 1/4" flat.  It's all in how you bend the fish tape and the angle at which you drill the hole into the wall.  I just take the wallplate off and cut a small piece of drywall next to the box out.  Then cut a small V in the bottom of the wallplate for the wire.   These freakin' rooster lick and stick installers, man.

I just want to note that I have heard nothing good about the Lyric panels from any of my colleagues in dealers nearby and afar.  I have heard hours of issues with pairing their new non-5800 transmitters, endless firmware update issues, etc.  I work for a Honeywell dealer that pledges allegiance to Honeywell and we won't touch those things.  My colleague in a different state, they are discontinuing their sales of the Lyric altogether.

If you're going to do a Honeywell all in one, consider the Lynx 5210 or 7000.  Tried and true.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 03:10:57 AM by Magnum Alert »
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

mike822

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 01:20:15 PM »
Interesting note about the Lyric and its quality issues.The only advantage I saw was it included the z-wave module. Also they'll have LTE modules so more longevity in case Verizon and others disconnect their 3G networks in the future
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:22:43 PM by mike822 »

Sterling Donnelly

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
    • No contract alarm monitoring and DIY friendly home security!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 06:52:29 PM »
I just want to note that I have heard nothing good about the Lyric panels from any of my colleagues in dealers nearby and afar.  I have heard hours of issues with pairing their new non-5800 transmitters, endless firmware update issues, etc.  I work for a Honeywell dealer that pledges allegiance to Honeywell and we won't touch those things.  My colleague in a different state, they are discontinuing their sales of the Lyric altogether.

If you're going to do a Honeywell all in one, consider the Lynx 5210 or 7000.  Tried and true.

I've worked with enough Lyric systems personally to be able to say with confidence that what your colleagues are experiencing is not due to hardware/firmware issues with the Lyric and is due to the new quirks/intricacies that are involved with activating a Lyric system with a Honeywell AlarmNet account and pairing SiX Sensors to the Lyric. As the process is very different than the LYNX Touch panels and the VISTA panels, I'm not surprised that traditional Honeywell dealers had issues with the Lyric. With proper training, I am sure they would all change their mind about not offering Honeywell's latest and greatest system.

I have been working with the Lyric since Honeywell first opened it up for their invite-only beta program and while there have certainly been improvements since launch, it's nothing more than expected with any new system.

With all things security related, it seems to not work until you know how to properly set it up...
Alarmgrid.com offers the full line of Honeywell security equipment and no contract alarm monitoring services with plans starting at only $10/month. Come check us out to see detailed product descriptions catered towards the DIY security community.