Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

142 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Vista20P - How to enter programming mode with a Fault Code showing?  (Read 181 times)

davefr

• View Profile
I have a bad motion detector that throws a Fault Code. (bad relay)  I'd like to enter programming mode to temporarily disable this zone with a 00 zone type until I can replace the motion detector.  However it appears that the system blocks out entry into programming mode with any fault code showing. (kind of a Catch 22).

Other them jumpering the panel's zone to fool the system into thinking the motion detector is N.C., is there a way to tell it to ignore then fault and allow entry into programming mode?

TIA

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Vista20P - How to enter programming mode with a Fault Code showing?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 07:37:40 AM »
A faulted zone will not prevent entering program mode.  How are you trying to get into programming?  Quickest way is 4-digit Installer Code + 8 + 00. Your Installer Code is different from your Master Code.

The system DOES have to be disarmed on all partitions to enter programming.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:39:37 AM by ChosunOne »

davefr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 01:28:10 PM »
A faulted zone will not prevent entering program mode.  How are you trying to get into programming?  Quickest way is 4-digit Installer Code + 8 + 00. Your Installer Code is different from your Master Code.

The system DOES have to be disarmed on all partitions to enter programming.

Thank you. I must of made an error entering the installer code.

If I'm already in programming mode and ever end up in an unfamiliar area due to a typo or erroneous entry, is there a way to gracefully back out.  *99 does not seem to universally take you out of programming mode. Will the system revert back to user mode after a timeout?

TIA

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 11:11:08 PM »

If I'm already in programming mode and ever end up in an unfamiliar area due to a typo or erroneous entry, is there a way to gracefully back out.  *99 does not seem to universally take you out of programming mode. Will the system revert back to user mode after a timeout?

TIA

*99 takes you out of programming from anywhere in _Data Field Programming_, i.e., anywhere you can reach directly by entering *xx (star + 2-digit number).   *99 will not take you out of programming if you're in one of the Interactive Mode Menus  like *56, *57, *58, *79, *80, etc---look in your Installation Manual, Table of Contents, Programming Overview to see the list of those. 

The most common scenario of getting "stuck" in an Interactive Programming Menu is trying to back out of somewhere in *56, Zone programming.   You have to back out of *56 _before_ you can use *99 to back out of programming.  The only place to back out of *56 is to reach the Prompter, "ENTER ZN NUM", with next line, "(00=QUIT) XX"  where XX is usually the next zone number after the zone you were working on. 

You back out of *56 by entering "00" (zero-zero) in the  prompt screen.  You can reach that prompt by either (1) entering # until  "ENTER ZN NUM", with next line, "(00=QUIT) XX"  comes up, or (2) entering * (star)  until "ENTER ZN NUM", with next line, "(00=QUIT) XX"  comes up.
If you use #, you're backing up in the programming and nothing you entered in the zone you're working on will be saved. If you use * to progress through the zone, then you'll save whatever was already changed in the zone.  Either way, you should go back through that zone to be sure you haven't changed something you didn't mean to---there's a good chance it'll trip you up later. At the very least, make note of which zone is displayed when you reach "ENTER ZN NUM", with next line, "(00=QUIT) XX"  so you'll know that XX-1 (XX minus one) was the zone you were in. That zone is no questionable.

There is a Final Resort method that I don't recommend: If you power down while in programming, powering up a minute later will have you in Normal Operation Mode, and the last item you didn't finish in Menu Mode programming probably wasn't saved, but you should go back and check.  You shouldn't have to use the power cycle method to get out of programming, but if you do, you should go back and study the manual. And of course, PAY ATTENTION and KEEP TRACK of what you're doing.

The only time it's necessary to use a power-down to get out of programming is if you're in Interactive Programming (Menu-Mode) without an Alphanumeric Keypad--in which case, you shouldn't BE in Menu-Mode programming, you can  put all kinds of unintended stuff in programming and never know you did it until it comes back on you in some weird seemingly inexplicable problem down the road.

Please tell me you're using an Alphanumeric Keypad.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 11:18:35 PM by ChosunOne »