Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

141 Guests, 1 User
AlarmMike

Author Topic: Is is OK to discuss recovering passcodes?  (Read 309 times)

renormalize

• View Profile
Is is OK to discuss recovering passcodes?
« on: October 20, 2017, 07:13:28 PM »
I recently faced the problem of gaining access to a Concord 4 alarm system in my new home. By combining pieces of info I got from various online DIY forums, including this one, I succeeded in reading the passcodes from the alarm EEPROM. The method is pretty straightforward, so I'd like to share it to help other homeowners or installers that need to program a locked Concord 4. I was thinking of posting the complete details, including some photos,  here in the GE/Interlogix or the Tips & Tricks topics. Do people here think this would be appropriate info for this forum? Or is some other online site better suited? Or is best to just keep it to myself?

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Is is OK to discuss recovering passcodes?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 07:26:48 PM »
I would _think_ that it's OK to discuss the recovery of passcodes in context of having complete access to the system's hardware anyway--it's not like that's going to be useful in circumventing anyone's security.

However, I'd wait for a Moderator to weigh in first.

murphy62

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 07:57:01 PM »
Do not publish any codes that you recover.

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 09:02:11 PM »
Problem is, that some manufacturers' installer codes can also be used to arm/disarm a system.  Some are somewhat "proprietary" for larger companies.  So ultimately, it is not encouraged.
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

renormalize

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 10:01:56 PM »
The write-up for my access method shows only simulated Installer & Dealer codes. But I can see the potential problem if an alarm company uses the same Dealer and/or Installer codes across many Concord 4 systems. If a criminal gets access to any one of those panels while disarmed, he could then read the codes and secretly reprogram any other of the company's systems that he has access to while disarmed. But I don't think having the Dealer/Installer code would help against an armed Concord 4 since I believe only the Master/User code can disarm/arm the system. (This is presumably to prevent a rogue technician who has a list of his company's Dealer & Installer codes from going on a burglary spree!) So I have mixed feelings about posting the method and would like to hear more feedback.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:54:40 PM by renormalize »

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 06:56:15 PM »
Realistically speaking, no systems I know of - including the Concord panels - can be disarmed via the dealer/installer code.  On _some_ systems like DSC and Napco, the dealer code can be used to retrieve the master code for the system (DSC) or all user codes (Napco), so there is that concern.

On the Concord panels, though, you cannot view any user codes in programming mode except the ambush code.  Your only option if you had ill intent is to default the panel using the installer code.

If "experimenting" with a chip doesn't violate any protected rights by GE, I don't really have a concern.  That's just my take on it though, and certainly not representative of what the forum and forum's admins' policies are.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

renormalize

• View Profile
Re: Is it OK to discuss recovering passcodes?
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 12:41:06 PM »
UPDATE: I have posted my method for recovering the passcodes from a Concord 4 EEPROM at the electronics site EEVBlog:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/how-to-recover-the-dealer-installer-codes-from-a-geinterlogix-concord-4-alarm/

Coincidentally, Deron Grzetich recently detailed a different technique for reading the EEPROM at the Malos Ojos Security Blog:

http://www.malos-ojos.com/?p=823

Hope someone finds these useful.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:02:57 PM by renormalize »