Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

110 Guests, 1 User
tickDauct

Author Topic: NX 6V2 intermittent service light  (Read 100 times)

blthomas80

• View Profile
NX 6V2 intermittent service light
« on: November 09, 2017, 11:00:41 PM »
Hi-

My NX 6V2 is about 5 years old. We moved in 2 years ago and I don't have any monitoring service. However, I do use the system to chime for doors/windows (we have young children and a pool) and I also will arm the system when out of town to enable the audible alarm. Consequently, I don't think about it much.

I noticed recently that the service light will come on and off by itself. It's not consistent at all. The light will stay on for about a second and go off. The frequency is about 3-10 minutes. I looked in the manual and was able to do the *2 when the light is briefly on. If I am quick enough, it does illuminate 1 and when I press 1, it illuminates 2 which indicates "siren trouble". I tested the siren and arming the system and everything works fine.

Does anybody have any suggestions of what this could be? Anything I could do? Should I have someone come and look at it? Something I should just ignore or something I should resolve?

Thanks!

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: NX 6V2 intermittent service light
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 10:29:08 AM »
These panels look for a resistive load across the siren terminals and sometimes the connected siren or speaker is adequate to satisfy the process.

However sometimes aging can impact on the readings and what was marginally accurate before might not be sufficient now.

Open the control and see if there is a 3300 ohm resistor across the Bell + and Bell - terminals.  If not, then get one and wire it in - that ought to keep the panel happy and the trouble light off.

If that doesn't do it then your options are to tolerate the problem (at least the keypad isn't beeping) or to replace the control board.

After however many years I do suggest you go out an buy a new battery for the panel - they aren't expensive and these things can get annoying when the daily battery test starts failing - it happens at midnight (or, what the panel thinks is midnight) on days when the system has not been used.

Use a 12 volt 7 Amp-Hour battery for this.
Able1 is a twit.  Correction, Twit is too mild a term.

blthomas80

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 11:32:27 AM »
Thanks. Adding the resistor didn't help the problem.

However, I've actually never had had a battery connected in the box. It wasn't there when we moved in and I never thought to put one in there.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think this is the start of problems that will continue to get worse and just replace the board now? Or should I just live with it?

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 07:50:45 AM »
Bad batteries can cause other issues to show up, especially power issues and panels showing keypad bus problems and even panels shutting down.  Having an alpha keypad would be great to review the event log.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.