Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

169 Guests, 1 User
aroutoubolo

Author Topic: Smoke/Heat Detectors Have Reached End of Life  (Read 154 times)

Security_Noob

• View Profile
Smoke/Heat Detectors Have Reached End of Life
« on: November 27, 2017, 10:22:19 PM »
I have a Ademco Vista 20P (rev 10.23) system with three (3) ESL 429CT smoke detectors (Photoelectric + integrated 135 degrees fixed temp and rate-of-rise heat detector) in the house and three (3) Edwards Systems 284B-PL heat detectors (fixed temp 194 degrees) in the attic/garage. The smoke and heat detectors are now both over 18 years old and I am uncomfortable with them since they are beyond thier recommended life span. I am especially concerned given the fact that I have not been able to trigger the smoke detectors with real smoke (the magnet test does work) while testing the system. I would like to simply swap the smokes and  heats with newer compatable versions that would not require any modifications to the panel or current wiring.

It appears a direct replacement for my current smoke detectors would be either the Interlogix 521BXT or the System Sensor 2WT-B. 

As far as the heat detectors, it appears my options are simply buying the same model again or the System Sensor 5602.

Are these the best/only choices? Are there others? What would you recommend?

Thanks.

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke/Heat Detectors Have Reached End of Life
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 10:21:21 PM »
2WB, 521BXT, any listed 2-wire smoke will work as long as you use the same model throughout.  That's up to your preference.  I personally wasn't a big fan of the 429/449 series because you had to take the entire detector down to get to the wiring, and the System Sensor i3 products are my go-to.  I can't remember ever having problems or false alarms with them, as compared to the ESL models which seem to regularly show sensitivity trouble even after the chamber is cleaned or replaced.

As far as your heat detectors, you can also use any mechanical detector of your choice.  System Sensor 5600 series, the Chemetronics 600 series, all they do is close a circuit, so there really aren't any limitations here.

All can be done without any modifications to your system, just like replacing an outlet or light fixture.   Two wires in, two wires out. 

System Sensor has the i4 detectors now, which are available in combination smoke/CO models. 
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

Security_Noob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 11:26:23 AM »
@Magnum Alet, thanks for the advice.  I have since updated my smokes with the System Sensor 2WT-Bs and have left the current heat detectors in place.  Replacing the smokes was extremely easy as long as you document which wire went where on the old smokes before hand. I am happy with the 2WT-Bs as they are much better looking than my old 429CTs, are not yellowed from age and appear to be more technologically advanced than the 429CTs. My only issue is that the installation went so perfectly that I am scared that they may not actually work.  While I am getting no faults on the control pad, the lights on the smokes blink as they are supposed to and they pass all the tests in the installation instructions, I think I will buy a can of smoke to test them even further.  Thanks again.

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 06:08:13 PM »
Definitely get the canned "smoke" (note:  the Solo brand of canned smoke does not work on any system sensor smokes, at all... ever....).   In the meantime, you can use the test button to activate a detector.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.