Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

63 Guests, 1 User
Chicken Farmer

Author Topic: Honeywell 5808W3 still chirping after battery change  (Read 1868 times)

troutdog

• Security Pro
  • If it makes sense, your doing it wrong
    • View Profile
Honeywell 5808W3 still chirping after battery change
« on: December 27, 2017, 02:42:05 PM »
I have a customer that is 3 hrs away that I have been trying to help with a low battery chirp. The 5808W3 after detecting a low battery will blink red for 7 days. After this 7 days it will chirp.
 Well 14 days ago I talked them through changing the batteries in 2 of these detectors. They called back 7 days later "7 days ago" that the chirping had returned. The batteries they had used were a generic online brand. Thinking that it may have been a bad batch of batteries I asked them to buy a better brand and give it another a try. They called back today being 7 days later that they are chirping again.
 The detectors are only 3 years old and were not happy about having to buy 2 more already. I called honeywell tech support. They advised to remove the battery and connect a jumper lead to the positive/negative terminals of the smoke detector for 10 sec. I understand why they want me to try this but wanted to ask you guys if you had tried this before and if there is anything else I may try before I ask them to purchase new ones. Honestly I may just give them the 2 smokes and eat the cost. I would hate to loose a customer over this.
 Thanks 

troutdog

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Honeywell 5808W3 still chirping after battery change
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 05:45:50 PM »
I called the customer and asked them to remove the battery for 2-3 min then place battery back in it. I imagine this would be the same as doing the jumper wire trick to drain power. 2-3 min is probably over kill but just wanted to be sure lol. I haven't got a call back yet.
I did see on another forum that it is common procedure to wait 20 sec before putting a new battery in. I did not know this. I guess I'm just naturally slow at replacing batteries lol

TN DIY

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 07:22:49 PM »
From the installation manual
To replace the battery:
Remove the detector from its mounting base by twisting the detector
counterclockwise. Remove the battery, and dispose properly.
To  ensure  proper  power-down  sequence,  wait  a  minimum  of  20
seconds before installing new battery.
Install  a  new  3-volt  CR123A  Lithium  battery  in  the  battery
compartment. Follow the polarity diagram inside the compartment.
Reinstall the smoke detector onto the mounting base by turning
the detector clockwise.
Test   the   detector   as   described   in   the   TESTING   SIGNAL
STRENGTH section of this manual. The green LED should blink
about once every 10 seconds to indicate normal operation. If the
battery  is  not  installed  correctly,  the  smoke  detector  will  not
operate and the battery may be damaged. If the detector does not
appear  to  be  sending  a  signal  during  any  of  the  tests,  check  for
correct battery installation and for a fully charged battery.

Jonathan

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 09:45:30 PM »
It's probably user error. I find it unlikely both of the detector's would malfunction at the same time. Ask them what brand batteries they are attempting to put in the smoke detector. If I remember correctly, Honeywell is very specific about which brand of CR123's can be installed in the detector.

EDIT: I've had my 5808W3's for over 6 years and I haven't had to replace a battery yet. I find it odd their detectors are only 3 years old and already need a battery replacement.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 10:03:43 PM by Jonathan »

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 11:49:15 PM »
If it were not for the fact that this is occurring every 7 days, I'd tell the client to check their 110 volt smokes.  Countless times I've received calls from clients about smoke low batteries.  I check activity and see nothing.  I then have them check for trouble on the keypad.  And more often than not, it is traced to a 110 smoke.

As a dealer however, sometimes you do have to eat the cost for customer relations.  I've given plenty of free labor and the occasional free part for good, long term customers.  Those customers turn into referrers for new clients so I usually come out ahead in the long run.
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer
Systems supported:   DSC, Ademco/Honeywell, ITI/GE/Interlogix
-----------------------------
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

troutdog

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 01:52:09 PM »
Thank you guys for the help. I do believe it was user error. I ended up replacing the devices to be safe. I brought them back to the office for testing and have been good for about 2 weeks so far. Being they are about 5 years old I can't resell them though I'll keep them if I ever get in a bind or something.
 Man I can't tell you how many times I've had a customer say our smoke, CO or whatever is beeping and ended up being the 120v smokes, battery back-up or something not related to the alarm system. Just comes with the job huh.  Thanks again!

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 05:14:45 AM »
Believe me, the rest of us get it too.  and sometimes the people who schedule service are afraid to tell them it isn't the alarm system.

plug-in CO detectors, dishwashers, Verizon FiOS units, water softeners, are all things I've found to be beeping in a customer's home on "it's beeping" service calls.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.