Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

144 Guests, 1 User
dilligaff

Author Topic: Magnum 800 replacement  (Read 1176 times)

adkkp

• View Profile
Magnum 800 replacement
« on: January 02, 2018, 02:09:35 PM »
Hello -

I tried finding a good solution online, but seem to be striking out.  We bought a house a few years back with a Napco Magnum 800 security system installed.  I'm looking to replace the central unit and 2 keypads, while keeping all our sensors (we've got lots of them:  doors, windows, floor pads).  Couple questions:

1.  Is there a cost effective, simple, user-friendly replacement option that work while keeping my sensors?
2.  Is this something that a novice can do?  I have tried finding a local security provider, but I'm guessing it's not worth the effort for them because no one seems to want the job. 

Also, my base requirements are:
-  I don't want to use monitoring - I just need it to shoot out a loud noise
-  I want to maintain all my current sensors (hardwired, probably 20+ or so)
-  Simple is best

-  Optional/Nice-to-have: would love it if I could easily install a motion sensor or two
-  Optional/Nice-to-have: would absolutely love it if it could connect to a mobile app through wifi for remote arming/disarming/notifications

Thanks for your help!
Kevin

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum 800 replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 05:30:05 PM »
Yeah, you can replace that MA800 with whatever system you want.  With a system like the DSC PC1832 or the Honeywell Vista 20P, you can use all your existing wiring and devices and add a wireless receiver for the motion detector you want.

You may need a siren, as those old MA panels had internal drivers that just connect to a speaker. 

Both can be programmed by the user via the keypad, and support third party interactive services like the Envisalink without a monitoring fee.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 06:18:13 PM »

You may need a siren, as those old MA panels had internal drivers that just connect to a speaker. 

Actually, since you already have a speaker (assuming it works) you can just install a siren driver inside the control panel cabinet.  Besides costing less, it will save you some work, especially if the siren if installed in your attic or high on an outside wall of your home.

Your MA-800 was probably installed around 30 years ago. If the speaker is in a steel cabinet on an outside wall, it could be rusted shut by this time and would require some work to get to. I wouldn't replace it unless I had to.

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 08:10:28 PM »
Good point.  I tend to see a lot of indoor speakers/sirens that have turned a nice ugly brown color over the years, so it's just as well to replace it if it's easy.

I prefer the ALSD-2 siren drivers by Altronix, they're a nice basic low-current driver.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

dilligaff

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 06:13:54 AM »
You can get the DSC PC1832 as a kit . The Kit has the panel, keypad, battery, transformer, motion detector, and interior sounder . The kit can be bought with different keypads, my recommendation is the PK5500 keypad which has English text zone descriptors, The PK5500 also will make programming easier. If your old system has speakers you can get an Elk 110 voice driver which has voice messages for Fire, Burglary and CO alarms .
BEFORE all else fails

READ THE DIRECTIONS !!

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 08:50:09 AM »
You can get the DSC PC1832 as a kit . The Kit has the panel, keypad, battery, transformer, motion detector, and interior sounder . The kit can be bought with different keypads, my recommendation is the PK5500 keypad which has English text zone descriptors, The PK5500 also will make programming easier. If your old system has speakers you can get an Elk 110 voice driver which has voice messages for Fire, Burglary and CO alarms .

Dilligaff, I notice he said he has floor pads, and the MA-800 has 2 zones that could be wired for open-loop where those are probably wired.  I've never used the PC1832. Are its zones programmable for open-loop, or would he need to install reversing relays to use the floor pads?

@adkkp, those floor pads haven't been used in alarm systems for decades and they have finite lifespans. Yours are pretty old by this time and I'm not sure how easy it will be to find replacement pads. Do you know that the pads are working at present? 

dilligaff

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 08:07:54 AM »
If your zones are set for EOL resistors ( the default Zone type ) a short across the EOL resistor will generate an alarm in addition to an open circuit.
BEFORE all else fails

READ THE DIRECTIONS !!

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 11:13:08 AM »
Duh! *facepalm*  Don't know what I was thinking.