Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

133 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: DSC Alexor power error/problem  (Read 153 times)

68Malibu

• View Profile
DSC Alexor power error/problem
« on: February 08, 2018, 06:06:37 AM »
I have an Alexor I installed about six years ago and the system started chirping yesterday and the keypad was blank and would not respond to input.  I had just replaced batteries in keypad a week earlier but replaced them again and no change.  Alarm monitoring company called to tell me a low battery trouble.  They said the fault was with the battery at the main box, not keypad.  I've ordered a new system backup battery.

However, what does not make sense to me is why a dead backup battery would disable the system.  It still has AC power, but keypad is blank and will not let me do anything.  Is this normal operation when the backup battery is dead? 

TN DIY

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
Re: DSC Alexor power error/problem
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 02:06:25 PM »
A lot of systems are dc powered and run off the control box battery, The AC  keeps the battery charged. Control box battery should be replaced every 4-5 years. When I was a tech, I always dated the batteryand checked the charging circuit.

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 04:21:48 PM »
Description of issue indicates the batteries are dead / bad.  Use only quality brands of batteries (Energizer / Duracell).

I always use the optional transformer for the WT5500 keypads.  Cuts down on battery issues.
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

68Malibu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 07:40:03 PM »
A lot of systems are dc powered and run off the control box battery, The AC  keeps the battery charged. Control box battery should be replaced every 4-5 years. When I was a tech, I always dated the batteryand checked the charging circuit.

I did not know that, but understand now.  I replaced the control box battery and it works fine now.  Thanks.

AlarmMike, I just switched from rechargeable AA batteries in the keypad to regular alkaline.  The rechargeable ones go from fine to dead with basically no warning.

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 12:22:09 AM »
Yep.
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

TN DIY

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 09:00:10 AM »
Happy to hear all is well.