Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

147 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Ademco: Moving "Door" from One Zone to Another Doesn't Work  (Read 959 times)

paintslinger

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
Ademco: Moving "Door" from One Zone to Another Doesn't Work
« on: February 18, 2018, 05:57:58 PM »
Hi All,

Since I had my windows replaced, I lost all contacts and those zones no longer work.  On one of those zones is a patio door.  When I go up into the attic, I can trace the wire from the patio door to the other wires that create zone 8.  I have another zone (3) that contains the front and garage entry doors.  I moved the patio door from zone 8 to zone 3, in between the existing doors, keeping the black to red wires together with the other doors.  The front door still chimes, the garage entry door still chimes, the patio door is silent.  The circuit seems to work since I'm getting chimes.  I have verified there is a contact in the patio door's jamb and on top of the door.  What am I missing here?

Thanks,

paintslinger

murphy62

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Ademco: Moving "Door" from One Zone to Another Doesn't Work
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 07:51:04 PM »
It must be put in series with the other doors.  Break the loop that connects the other doors and put the patio door in series with the other doors.  If there is an End Of Line Resistor (EOLR) at the patio door it is not going to work.

paintslinger

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 09:32:02 PM »
The added door is in series with the other doors.  If I understand correctly, there shouldn't be an EOLR until the wires reach the panel.  These wires are in the attic, grouped into zones, and then fed down into the panel with EOLRs located in the pantry.

~paintslinger

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 02:46:02 AM »
The added door is in series with the other doors.  If I understand correctly, there shouldn't be an EOLR until the wires reach the panel.  These wires are in the attic, grouped into zones, and then fed down into the panel with EOLRs located in the pantry.

~paintslinger

Huh? Is the control panel cabinet located in the pantry?  And are all EOLRs located at the control panel terminals, particularly Z3 and Z8's  EOLRs?

paintslinger

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 09:10:55 AM »
I'm not able to get my pic small enough to attach, 174 kb at the lowest quality.  My security panel is in my pantry.  There are two grey wires being fed down from the attic.  One wire goes to terminals 4-6 but there are so many wires I can't tell.  The other wire goes to terminals 12-20 with EOLRs at each terminal.  I'm assuming these are my 8 zones.  Any ideas why my added door to zone 3 isn't working?  Can anyone tell me how to compress my pic small enough to attach?

~paintslinger

Flyct

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 10:18:08 PM »
I'm not able to get my pic small enough to attach, 174 kb at the lowest quality.  My security panel is in my pantry.  There are two grey wires being fed down from the attic.  One wire goes to terminals 4-6 but there are so many wires I can't tell.  The other wire goes to terminals 12-20 with EOLRs at each terminal.  I'm assuming these are my 8 zones.  Any ideas why my added door to zone 3 isn't working?  Can anyone tell me how to compress my pic small enough to attach?

~paintslinger

Try this site http://photoposting.is-great.net/
Past the url it creates when you upload your photo.
Example below

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 11:02:31 PM »
If your patio door is indeed in series on the same zone loop (wires) with your other Z3 doors, and the other Z3 doors are chiming; then no chime when you open the patio door indicates that the panel isn't seeing the patio door open.

Close everything so that you have a green "READY" light on your keypad. Open the patio door and see if you still have a green "Ready" light.  If you do, that indicates either a "frozen" door switch (always closed), OR,  a short in the wire somewhere, probably between where you spliced it into Z3, and the door switch.
Make sure you didn't leave the 2 loop wires touching in your splice.

I'm trying to get an accurate picture here of what you're working with.
When you say, "I have verified there is a contact in the patio door's jamb and on top of the door.",  I need to be specific so I"m not making any assumptions:  Do you mean there's a switch/contact along the top of the patio door jamb, and a *magnet* on the patio door itself?  Is the patio door a swinging door, or a sliding sash?  Is the switch/contact surface-mount or is it recessed (so that only  a small circle actually shows)?

paintslinger

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 10:47:19 AM »
Thank you Flyct!

Here's the pic of my panel:

paintslinger

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 11:03:09 AM »
Hello ChosunOne,

I'm getting a little lost in the terminology.  My door is a swinging door.  The contacts are recessed in both the door jamb and the top of the door.  My system is completely hardwired.  I'm not sure if I answered your questions.

The door had it's own wire in the attic and then the wires were grouped into zones, daisy chained?  We were able to trace the doors wire back to the door since it is on a different wall than the windows and the door is marked on a truss where all of the wires are gathered, labeled, and attached by wrapping around the truss.  We took it off of the zone I had previously deleted and moved it to zone 3, which is active, so it would chime with the other doors.  We removed the hard shrink wrap from the wires that were connected for zone 3 and put the patio door in between the front and garage entry doors and then twisted the wires together, keeping black with red, and wrapped them with electrical tape.

The "Ready" light is on before I open the patio door and remains on when the door is opened. 

Make sure you didn't leave the 2 loop wires touching in your splice.

I'm not sure what this means.

~paintslinger

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 02:46:39 PM »
Since you are able to isolate the wire run to the patio door, disconnect it from the loop (obviously it is daisy-chained).  Connect a multimeter to the patio door wire and set it to continuity.  Then open and close the patio door to see if the circuit opens and closes.  If it responds correctly, then ensure you reconnect the wiring as follows:

Where
D = Door
R = Red
B = Black

Panel ----- R D1 B ----- R D2 B----- R D3 B----- Panel
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer
Systems supported:   DSC, Ademco/Honeywell, ITI/GE/Interlogix
-----------------------------
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

paintslinger

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 09:19:59 AM »
Excellent advice!  I didn't think about diagnostics and I have never heard this door chime.  If no current registers, then do I have a damaged wire?  I can trace it back to the door but I can't see down into the wall cavity. What would be my next test?

~paintslinger

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 12:22:38 PM »
What were the results with the multimeter?  You are measuring for resistance, not current or voltage.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:12:34 PM by AlarmMike »
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer

paintslinger

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 09:18:44 AM »
Sorry, we haven't gone back up there--it's been too cold.  Do you have another test we can try if that one works?  How can I tell if the contacts in the door and jamb are good?

~paintslinger

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 11:18:09 AM »
That is what is required to test the wire run and contact operation.  Remove it from the loop with the other doors so you are testing it independently.

You could try removing the contact from the door frame to test it specifically, but I don't recommend that unless you know what you are doing.  You stand a good chance of damaging the contact, connections or wire if you are inexperienced.  And then, you are only testing the contact, not the wire run it is connected to.

Advise us when you have tested the cable run in the attic.

paintslinger

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 10:42:53 AM »
I have connectivity with the door opened and closed.  We didn't see a break in the wire from the door jamb to the truss.  Does this mean our sensor is bad?  How do we go about replacing it?  It's recessed into the door jamb and we are definitely inexperienced.

~paintslinger