Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

40 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: DSC Security System with Honeywell 6160 Keypad???  (Read 583 times)

paintslinger

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
DSC Security System with Honeywell 6160 Keypad???
« on: February 25, 2018, 02:16:53 PM »
Hi All,

I'm closing on a out of town house on Tues and trying to set up the security system.  In my current house I have an Ademco system.  Based on the picture the current owner sent of the new house, I think the DSC keypad is an RFK5501 and goes with a Power Series control panel PC1616 but not sure.  Can I program with this keypad?  If not, can I use my Honeywell 6160 keypad with this system?  Other than the pic of the keypad, I don't know anything about the system except it's monitored by ADT but was installed by a different company.

TIA,

~paintslinger
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:34:42 PM by paintslinger »

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: DSC Security System with Honeywell 6160 Keypad???
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 03:50:45 PM »
Yes, it is either a PK5501 or an RFK5501 keypad.
Yes, you can program with it, but it is more difficult than with a PK/RFK5500 alpha keypad.
No, you cannot use an Ademco keypad on a DSC system, not compatible.
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer
Systems supported:   DSC, Ademco/Honeywell, ITI/GE/Interlogix
-----------------------------
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

paintslinger

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 04:23:13 PM »
Thanks, I didn't think life would be that easy :).  My goal was to program it myself and call ADT to activate the account rather than wait on someone to show up.  On to plan B, calling ADT now.

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 01:08:48 AM »
Thanks, I didn't think life would be that easy :).  My goal was to program it myself and call ADT to activate the account rather than wait on someone to show up.  On to plan B, calling ADT now.

Why?

The system was presumably used by by the former residents, and is already programmed. If you're "closing", but haven't completed the transaction yet, you have the leverage with the agent/current owner to get the code(s) you need, so that shouldn't be a problem. In other words, you're not programming from scratch.  In fact, you haven't mentioned what it is that you do want to program.

Changing a Master/User/Installer code(s) with a 5501 KP is almost as easy as with an Alpha KP.  It's the work of a few minutes, including reading the manual on how.  Were there other changes to the existing system that you planned to make, that you'd need a professional tech for?

I see a _new_ PK5500 ALPHA-NUMERIC LCD KEYPAD on ebay for ~ $80 (USD).  Where I live (near D.C.), a service call typically costs about $100 for the first 15 minutes; the rate drops after that, but it's still steep.  In other words, one service call will probably cost you more than buying the Alpha keypad that will facilitate any future programming you may need to do.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: Unless you make drastic changes to your new DSC system, ADT shouldn't even need to send a tech out to activate your account.  They already have all the _system_ information (reporting account number, signal path from system to monitoring station(s),  signal codes, etc) in their database, plus address to dispatch emergency services, etc---the only changes they need to make is in their office files, i.e., your name(s), contact info, code word(s), etc, all of which is admin and handled on paper and doesn't need a tech because it's not part of the physical alarm system.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 01:18:47 AM by ChosunOne »

paintslinger

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 09:01:52 AM »
Hello ChosunOne,

I agree completely.  They are sending out a tech and I suspect it is to upsell me on my current service.  However, it looks like security wires have been tightly run across some downed ducts in the attic and I would like for him to re-route those so we can hang the ducts. I have downloaded the manual and when I get there I'll be able to find the panel and get more info.

We're going to have to have a monitoring service.  We won't be living there for another four months.  ADT has me signed up for a 36 month plan which I'm not clear on since I own the equipment.  I would prefer month to month.  We have asked the seller for the master and user codes and, hopefully, she will provide it at closing.  I wouldn't expect her to provide them earlier since we could possibly walk in to her house.  She may not realize we're not local.

I would like a programming keypad so once I get the info, I'll check back with the group to see if it's compatible.  We close tomorrow.

~paintslinger

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 10:35:56 AM »
Honestly, I doubt that is even an "ADT" system as it isn't branded as such.  More likely installed by an "Authorized Dealer" and is generic.  Doesn't change anything much, just gives you more options for switching companies if desired.
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer

paintslinger

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 05:36:02 PM »
Update:  Since the house was going to be sitting empty for the next few months and contractors were scheduled, we upgraded to the Safewatch 3000 ADT Pulse so I could turn the alarm on and off from my phone.

~paintslinger

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 06:04:23 PM »
ADT Safewatch Pro 3000 - AKA - Honeywell (Ademco) Vista 20P