Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

66 Guests, 1 User
Chicken Farmer

Author Topic: Elk M1 vs Bosch G-series?  (Read 901 times)

Experienced

• View Profile
Elk M1 vs Bosch G-series?
« on: February 27, 2018, 01:28:58 PM »
Long story short, several years ago I was planning to build a new house and had looked into alarm systems. At that time I pretty much decided on the Elk M1 after a lot of research. Unfortunately do to some life issues, the house got delayed...I am now looking at building again and decided to revisit the Elk M1.

Unfortunately, it seems Elk is stuck in time? There doesn't seem to be any real updates with them, their home page still discuss Windows 10, which was released nearly 3 years ago. And worse, the M1ToGo, which lets you remotely control the system, still lists compatibility only up to Windows 7...Windows 8 was released in 2012, nearly 6 years ago, but there is still no mention of that?

I started looking at Bosch systems...and I know there is a bit of hate from people on Bosch/Radionics...but I have to say, I was completely impressed by the customability of their systems. Nearly every single setting you can think of is customizable, which is a big plus. I know Bosch is harder to program, but I used to install commercial alarms and I read over the manual and mostly understand it, so I'm not really worried about that...I'm mostly concerned with which is better and remote control/alert options.

Anyone have experience with both that can comment or recommend one over the other? Can you remotely control the Elk from a phone for free still or has that not been updated? How about remote control from the Bosch systems? Any advice and thoughts would be appreciated.

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Elk M1 vs Bosch G-series?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 03:43:19 PM »
Ultimately most here will recommend either DSC or Honeywell (Ademco) systems.  They are WIDELY supported vs. those you are inquiring about.  They are the workhorses of the alarm industry.  My $0.02.
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer
Systems supported:   DSC, Ademco/Honeywell, ITI/GE/Interlogix
-----------------------------
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

Experienced

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 03:47:50 PM »
Ultimately most here will recommend either DSC or Honeywell (Ademco) systems.  They are WIDELY supported vs. those you are inquiring about.  They are the workhorses of the alarm industry.  My $0.02.

Yes, I know that, I installed alarms and put in more Honeywell systems then I care to count. I don't really need tech support and I'm not looking for a basic alarm. The Elk and the Bosch systems are FAR more customizable and can handle many different scenarios. Elk is rule based, giving you nearly unlimited flexibility...and Bosch lets you customize every single last thing you can think about. Which is why I am trying to compare those 2 systems.

Stratmando

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 02:51:52 PM »
Curious of some things you feel Bosch or Elk M1 Can do, that the DSC can't. The 1832 is Very Capable.

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 04:39:03 PM »
There is nothing wrong with Bosch, it is very customizable to far more than your average residential system.  Overkill, in some cases.  But, you'll need to hook up with a Bosch dealer most likely, as you aren't likely to find complete systems online.  I was impressed with the B series, as they've finally broken away from the same keypad design they've been using for 30 years and made something much nicer, and the one I set up (4512?)  was fully programmable from the keypad.

For the traditional G series, however, you're still looking at needing the RPS software and the software USB key to program.

I don't have much experience with the M1 but they are not common in my neck of the woods, and don't seem to be advancing.

Have you considered DMP?  DMP is an excellent name for a high-end system like Bosch, and even the largest DMP panel can be programmed right from the keypad.  They still make the standard Thinline keypads, the blue backlit Aqualite, and they have LCD touchscreens now, along with a mobile app and IP/cellular reporting.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

Experienced

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 06:59:51 PM »
Curious of some things you feel Bosch or Elk M1 Can do, that the DSC can't. The 1832 is Very Capable.

It can do pretty much anything you can imagine. -Have a pet sitter, so you don't want them to accidentally (or intentionally) arm the system in 'stay' mode...or you don't want them to arm it in 'maximum no delay mode'...no problem, you can select which arm modes they are allowed...meaning you can allow their code to only arm away and no other arming mode. -Do you live alone or have a stalker and worry they might hide out in your home and wait for you to arrive, no problem...they have an 'early ambush' mode, where you disarm it, then have a set period of time to make sure everything is secure, then you go back to the keypad and disarm again otherwise it sends a silent panic alarm. -Do you want to use proxy cards to open your front doors...you can easily program a proxy card for your parents or other family, but program it so the card does not work if the system is armed, so they can't enter while you aren't home. -Do you have a room where you keep a safe or other valuables...you can easily program a 'two-man' rule, where both you and your wife have to present your proxy card to the keypad in order to disarm a sensitive area. -Have a door you don't want left open, you can easily program the panel to buzz at the keypads if it is left open for more then X seconds/minutes. -Have a keypad in a bedroom and don't want the keypad to beep with each key press, no problem you can disable that. -Have a sensitive area that you don't want to forget to re-arm, no problem you can program the panel to automatically rearm a partition X minutes/hours after it was disarmed. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. 

Experienced

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 07:33:15 PM »
There is nothing wrong with Bosch, it is very customizable to far more than your average residential system.  Overkill, in some cases.  But, you'll need to hook up with a Bosch dealer most likely, as you aren't likely to find complete systems online.  I was impressed with the B series, as they've finally broken away from the same keypad design they've been using for 30 years and made something much nicer, and the one I set up (4512?)  was fully programmable from the keypad.

For the traditional G series, however, you're still looking at needing the RPS software and the software USB key to program.

I don't have much experience with the M1 but they are not common in my neck of the woods, and don't seem to be advancing.

Have you considered DMP?  DMP is an excellent name for a high-end system like Bosch, and even the largest DMP panel can be programmed right from the keypad.  They still make the standard Thinline keypads, the blue backlit Aqualite, and they have LCD touchscreens now, along with a mobile app and IP/cellular reporting.

Thanks. Yeah, 5 years ago I probably wouldn't have even considered Bosch, but they've really improved a lot. And yeah, I don't see the M1 in use much, but there was a bunch of good reviews, but yeah that's the thing, they don't seem to be advancing or doing much over the last few years.

I already have RPS and from what I read, with the new G series panels it looks like you can just connect a USB cable from your computer right to the onboard USB port without the need for any USB key anymore? The one thing I'm curious about though is have you tried any remote connect / mobile app or getting alerts on a phone? The one thing I liked about the Elk was you could supposedly control it from your phone and get alerts for free...but I'm not sure if that works anymore?

And I quickly looked at DMP a while ago, but I didn't really notice anything outstanding about it? Both the Elk and Bosch seemed a lot more flexible in less there was something I am missing?