Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

156 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Looking for suggestions Vista 20P too many wires on terminals 5&6  (Read 666 times)

JonH229

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
I have quite a lot of wires on terminals 5 & 6.  With a number of "4 wire devices" connected that use terminals 5 & 6 and now planning to add another keypad, the terminal screws are obviously physically overloaded.  Seems like the Vista 20P terminal strip is probably fine for 4 or 5 wires but I have 8 on there and will be *trying* to add one more.  The screwhead doesn't seem to have enough meat on it to handle this many wires.

What is the best way to pull some of these devices off of 5 & 6?  Mount a secondary terminal strip?  Use a wire nut (that doesn't seem a wise choice)?  What do the pro's do keep these terminals from having too many connections?

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for suggestions Vista 20P too many wires on terminals 5&6
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 01:49:34 AM »
As long as your load calculation is good, a wire nut with a pig tail will do the job.
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer
Systems supported:   DSC, Ademco/Honeywell, ITI/GE/Interlogix
-----------------------------
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

JonH229

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 12:12:36 AM »
As long as your load calculation is good, a wire nut with a pig tail will do the job.

OK, thanks.  It's been working well for 2+ yrs but it's great to remind me about the load.
I did that calc at install but have added a couple of devices since then so good reminder to recheck that load.

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 10:02:04 PM »
I do wish the Vista panels had seperate siren + and -, keybus + and -, and aux power + and - like every other panel out there.

I land the siren (-) and one or two #18 solid wires under the (-) terminal.  and use the 18s to make pigtails.  I typically dedicate one set of pigtails specifically for aux power, and another for ECP devices.   Occasionally, a device will go bad or a short will occur that causes the panel to shut down, and you have to disconnect devices one by one to see what it is, so it's easier to have this stuff broken down.  For panels with a lot of wires landed, I'll daisy chain some #18 red and black around the inside of the panel, and cut and pigtail wires on for a cluster of wires at each expander.

If you want to get super fancy, you can get plastic terminal strips, too.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

MurrayB

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 05:09:58 PM »
I have always had good results using B-Connectors with a a good crimp.