Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

116 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Advice On What To Buy  (Read 383 times)

jbp82

• View Profile
Advice On What To Buy
« on: April 10, 2018, 02:08:55 AM »
Hi there.  I believe it's time for a different system, though I'm not having any problems currently with my Lorex Eco - it's very outdated and the video quality is a bit spotty.  I have always wanted something with the ability to zoom in and (perhaps?) even get license plates, but I don't know if this is a realistic expectation with a security system.  I've read conflicting reports on that. 

The system I have now records to DVR on a 1TB hard drive, which is fine.  I am not opposed to having recording elsewhere (such as Cloud) but I'd rather not pay a monthly fee, which seems like it often comes with cloud service.  Due to this, I figure I need a DVR system like I have now.  I currently have a 4 camera system, and I don't feel I need more necessarily, but I'm open to the idea. ;) 

I feel like I want the best resolution and one of the best systems possible as I do not want to be in this situation of needing to upgrade again for quite a while.  It's such a hassle upgrading, taking down the cameras, etc.  I am not sure whether or not I want wireless (which is what my Lorex system is) or wired. I guess it doesn't matter that much.  I've looked on several retailers and I can find all kinds of things available.  I even found a 5K Swann system, but without a DVR.  What is the best technology as far as resolution goes?  4K? 5K?  It's so hard to tell what is the best, as some reference megapixels, and others just say "5K", etc.   I guess I just feel I could use some direction.  :) 

bearclaw

• Security Master
    • View Profile
    • Armada Global
Re: Advice On What To Buy
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 10:34:41 AM »
Go wired and if running new wire go IP.  4k is about the top resolution in the reasonably priced range.  You can certainly get higher MP but you'll be paying for it...not to mention it's probably overkill for residential.  Hikvision and Hikvision OEM is a great product for the price point.

jbp82

• View Profile
Re: Advice On What To Buy
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 04:39:14 PM »
Thank you!  Sorry, thought I had thanked you before.   :)