Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

140 Guests, 1 User
TN DIY

Author Topic: Verification Image TOO Troublesome.  (Read 3425 times)

tperk100

• View Profile
Verification Image TOO Troublesome.
« on: August 03, 2014, 06:19:54 AM »
I use approximately 50 different forums on the net.  I understand the need for security but this forum goes overboard.

The verification images are very difficult to read and get right. After cycling through about 12 of them and STILL getting it wrong, I almost gave up on the first post I made. And then, after dealing with this frustration, there is a SECOND level of verification.

Come on........we are not dealing with top secret information here, and spammers are not really that much of a problem. Please make this process a little easier.

Here I go........there is NO WAY I can read the current image.....................SEVEN images later I have one I think I can make out.

Thanks for your consideration.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:45:12 AM by tperk100 »
LiveWatch Simon XTi, Z-Wave, Image Sensors, iPhone App, Alarm.com, more....
Tom P in Sunny Virginia Beach, Va

Jimmiee

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Verification Image TOO Troublesome.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 01:37:25 PM »
I guess I have to kind-of agree with you.

It's not all that bad but ..... on the other hand, it is a little bit paranoid.

Had one the other night took 3 tries before I got it. Kinda annoying ... I don't see this on other groups and it doesn't seem to make a difference there. It would seem that if the moderators of this group had enough control of the workings of the web-site that they could handle any attempt at spamming.

Maybe a suggestion would be to take down the verification for awhile and see if it really is worth making everyone strain their brain and eyes every time they make a post.

I would think that changing the verifying question for each post or every day would be enough and eliminate the verification scramble code.
If you find yourself going through hell ....
keep going.
Winston Churchill

tperk100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 01:43:03 PM »
I go to many other site with verification codes that are much easier to read. This would be fine as far as I am concerned.
LiveWatch Simon XTi, Z-Wave, Image Sensors, iPhone App, Alarm.com, more....
Tom P in Sunny Virginia Beach, Va

gpburdell

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 10:35:32 AM »
I have to concur.  Verification is helpful to deter bots and less determined spammers.

The ones here though get in the way of posting replies / PMs etc and I feel go so far as to inhibit participation. 

Looking at the image below I literally cannot read one of the letters.  Even zooming to 250%.  The second one is readable.

TelephoneDude85

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 04:33:09 PM »
I agree too, this is overkill, half the time you can't read them, the other half it's just too troublesome. I'm used to the captchas and stupid questions during REGISTRATION, to prevent bots, but for EVERY post? Please consider simplifying this "feature", or scrapping it for every post.

Guyfromhe

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 05:57:53 PM »
You have to fill out a capcha for each post?

TelephoneDude85

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 11:15:03 AM »
You have to fill out a capcha for each post?

I do, and not only that, you have to spell something backwards or answer a stupid question. Never had this on any other forum except during sign up for a new user.

murphy62

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 01:45:43 PM »
I don't have to do that.  Maybe it will go away after an unknown number of valid posts.

Stratmando

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 12:38:30 PM »
Although an old post, want to keep together.

I can see having the Capcha and writing a word backwords to log in, To do on every post is time consuming, I feel a little Ignorant, or Is the Problem, after logging in, or do Peoples computers, get taken over by some unknown source and starts Posting, I don't understand.
Does it stop after so many post or time?, If so let it be known, Thanks

murphy62

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 01:55:25 PM »
The problem is that spammers will set up a computer to post hundreds of spam messages to a forum so fast that the forum becomes unusable.  Once you are known to not be a problem user and are participating in useful discussions the Captcha  will go away.  I haven't seen one in years.  I don't know the parameters, only the administrator does.

Stratmando

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 09:57:55 AM »
Thanks, The time it take for each post takes the fun out of it. Take Care

Excuse me for a moment while I spell Bat backwards and see a capcha I can read? tried a couple already.