Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

64 Guests, 1 User
AlarmMike

Author Topic: Basic Security equipment needed to safeguard home  (Read 826 times)

homebody

• View Profile
Basic Security equipment needed to safeguard home
« on: May 17, 2018, 06:30:51 PM »
I am new to security. I live in an apartment. I am in need of recommendations for equipment. I have had items broken by workmen in my Apartments past and recent. Nothing serious has been broken. So I am interested in equipment to safeguard my apartment. Dealing with landlords is difficult they will protect their people before they side with you. In the past I suspect they have entered my apartment illegally without a full days notice. The equipment I need is basic.

First- I need a main door camera with motion that begins recording and transmits the data to the cloud or my cellphone immediately in video format.
Second item- A simple unobtrusive cam that detects motion and records video. Audio is not necessary as proof of intrusion is what I am detecting against. A cam that will overwrite itself so I can always check for fresh footage. If nothing is disturbed then there is no need to check it.  A simple camera on off feature is also desired so if I go on vacation it will be hidden and in the event of that the Memory is full it will overwrite the old footage with the new.

Quality is important.  Quality equipment with simple functions.I have had cheap equipment. Cheap equipment always results in multiple calls to customer service and returns. Quality equipment with simple functions. So if any of the people on this forum I am in need of some basic protection.

Flyct

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Security equipment needed to safeguard home
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:25:20 PM »
I know i will get flamed here by recommending this but being a renter you may want to look into   https://simplisafe.com

I helped mynext door neighbor setting up his simplisafe cameras. Iím also backup for his alarm notification. He has a few water/flood sensors and Iíve been called a few times when his wife mops and hits the sensor.

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 12:39:53 AM by AlarmMike »
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer
Systems supported:   DSC, Ademco/Honeywell, ITI/GE/Interlogix
-----------------------------
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

homebody

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 03:37:12 PM »
Is this a forum for Shieldlab products or an open forum for information? I thought this forum was for anyone with any home security needs. I have insurance on anything expensive in my apartment. I am in need to deter unwanted visitors. Nothing extensive just proof that someone has entered my apartment. A second one to see what they have gone through. So please recommend any products that I can review.

The internet can be shorted out to keep a camera from transmitting so I use Verizon and if the camera was linked to my phone for immediate recording I would have proof of illegal entry. The second one is for vacation. I think there is other ways to enter the apartment but not worth someones effort. So a quality front door camera with wireless and a Hidden or Nanny cam for inside my apartment. I thought the light unit is ingenious. The one that is hidden in a lamp. What I would like is a hidden is a quality unit that is hidden without smart phone like idiot features. One with a simple function with motion detector and the ability to overwrite the memory. So if I had it turned on and forgot to turn it off I would not need to check it if it has two hours of me watching TV filling the memory before needing it again.

bearclaw

• Security Master
    • View Profile
    • Armada Global
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 06:25:00 PM »
We install these a good bit and they are quality.  They have a PIR so you're not relying on video motion detection (VMD) which will false alarm on lighting changes. 

They can connect via wifi to your internet and push notifications to your cell for alerts.  If you are looking for alerts remotely from a camera, it will have to be connected to the internet whether it be broadband, mobile broadband, etc. 

The camera takes an SD card and will overwrite oldest video first with no maintenance on your end.  You could install it at your front door.

https://us.hikvision.com/en/products/cameras/network-camera/value-series/specialty/cube/3mp-ir-cube-network-camera-ds-2cd2432f-iw

Re the covert camera, there are many option on the market from outfits like Brickhouse Security.  Look for wifi options.  I will caution that I've tried a few wifi covert cameras and was not impressed.  We usually build our own concealments and tie to 3g/4g for connectivity. 

homebody

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 05:44:21 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation. I was on vacation and I swear this is a true story. I was in a resort in a Third World country. They stole my wealthy neighbors entire safe. They took the whole safe from the room. I listened to the confrontation. They said the cameras were connected to the internet and the internet was down for a few hours the night the safe was removed.

There is a networking room in this building so I figure that they can shut down my cable box like happened to the poor sod in my story. My cable box has wireless capability. Can they shut the ethernet and wireless of my box from the apartments networking room? So my choice with this is buy it and have it transmit a wireless signal through my cable box. I could pay for a Verizon signal for the security. The low rate plan. This place is so annoying every other month they are in checking something. Over 40 units so the place is fully inventoried by the crew. The building is very reputable no reported thefts that I know of.

They aren't dumb so if they see the camera and do decide to visit this camera can be shutdown from the networking room?

homebody

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 02:16:06 PM »
They can also turn off the cable box from the master switch. Workmen do not like to be recorded when they work. They notify everyone that they will be entering the apartments during the day. This is likely to give them busy work. It would be nice to have a stand alone wireless transmitter with a battery backup. So any intrusion would be recorded before there is any chance of disabling it. It is better safe than sorry. Where I live most of the thefts are inside jobs so I require safeguards. Here and in a home or another apartment.

bearclaw

• Security Master
    • View Profile
    • Armada Global
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 05:11:48 PM »
As long as the camera is powered on, it will record.  So you could plug it in to a battery backup in theory.  If the internet goes down, then the camera will be offline for remote viewing but will still record. 

You could always tie the cameras to a 3g/4g router with data from your chosen carrier.  More expensive as you'll have redundant internet but it wouldn't be accessible from any network room in the building.

homebody

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 07:52:28 PM »
More expensive as you'll have redundant internet but it wouldn't be accessible from any network room in the building.

Ok that is what I need to hear. Thanks again. It is what I will have to use if there is any monkey business that I need to address with the landlords.

Can anyone recommend a good Nannycam? One that is easy to hide or hide in plain sight with simple features like on/off and overwrite.

Touchton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 10:09:29 AM »
I'm also looking for a reliable nannycam that's not too noticeable. What are people using nowadays? There seem to be so many choices on the market but and I can't decide.