Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

73 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: How to add a second FSA-210 2 wire to DSC PC1616  (Read 750 times)

Nebula

• View Profile
How to add a second FSA-210 2 wire to DSC PC1616
« on: June 05, 2018, 07:44:50 PM »
Hello everyone, this is my first message here on this forum, I live in Canada and I am 37 years old male. (;

I have a question today about adding a second smoke detector to my existing system.

A while ago I installed my alarm system myself (except for the smoke detector), which is a PC1616 wired, and it went quite well, my system is running for perhaps 3 years now and everything is fine, it's effective.

But lately, I had an issue with a computer power supply overheating and eventually some components exploded inside causing smoke and sparks... but the thing is, I never used that computer for 1 year.. it was only connected on the wall. Following these scary events, I went to the electronic store and bought a second DSC smoke and thermal detector to install downstairs... (the other one is upstairs of course)

They told me to hook the new one it in parallel with the existing one at the store.. (Aux+ and PGM2)  but the manual tells me to install them in series with the use of 1 end of line resistor.

I am not exactly sure how to do it anymore.. if anyone can help me with that.

Thanks!

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
Re: How to add a second FSA-210 2 wire to DSC PC1616
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 09:38:06 PM »
Basically, go to your existing smoke detector.  There will be a red and a black wire connected to two screw terminals, and a resistor connected to another two terminals.  Disconnect the resistor, and connect another set of wires where the resistor was, observing polarity.  Run your wire to the location of the second detector, and wire the detector the same way the first one was.

So yeah, parallel.  The manual may mean "series" as linear, but that's bad wording, as it's NOT technically a series circuit.

(+)---------------------   ----------------------------   ----
-                             (S)                                  (S)   EOL
(P)---------------------   ----------------------------    ----
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 11:35:00 PM »
And of course, if your system is professionally monitored, very first step before working on the system is to contact the central station and tell them to place your account on test.  Otherwise, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a visit from the fire department.  Also, power your system down while working on it.
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer
Systems supported:   DSC, Ademco/Honeywell, ITI/GE/Interlogix
-----------------------------
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

Nebula

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 07:51:24 AM »
Ok Magnum Alert, I'll do it like that.  I won't need to do any further programming with that wiring?

AlarmMike, oh yes I call the central every time I test my sensors has well has powering down (disconnecting AC first and Battery second) or do any kind of modifications, I don't want any false alarms.

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 09:36:30 PM »
No need to do anything with programming.

Be aware that many monitoring agreements prohibit the user from modifying the system.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

Nebula

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 07:05:48 PM »
Oki thanks for your Help with the detector. I always reach the official technician if I do changes on the system.

Nebula

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 01:18:35 PM »
Hello,

I did not install my new detector yet, I have another last question about the position. My current smoke detector is placed in front of the drying machine and not to far away from a baseboard heater.  I don't have a clue why the previous owner decided to install a baseboard heater in the middle of the house but I know it's very useful during winter.

This is the plan of the basement, in red is the actual battery smoke detector and in blue,  the places I know I can easily install the new FSA-210 thermal/smoke detector. The A position is by far the easiest place for me to pass a wire, do you guys think the distance from the baseboard heater and dryer is acceptable? 

Here is a picture of the actual condition

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:21:10 PM by Nebula »