Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

121 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: did i ruin this fire detector?  (Read 351 times)

tattri

• View Profile
did i ruin this fire detector?
« on: June 06, 2018, 08:09:45 PM »
I just installed a Honeywell 5602 fixed temp/rate of rise fire detector, and the directions say the ROR functionality is resettable, and therefore testable.  It's a two-wire detector that I connected to the zone terminals on the extender, not the power, and put an EOLR at the terminals on the detector.  I know the detector is talking to the zone extender it's attached to, because the keypad alarmed as soon as I connected the detector, and the trouble alert cleared when I entered the disarm code.  I was trying to test the ROR with a hairdryer and was never able to get an alarm at the keypad, but the center heat collector cap popped off after a couple of minutes, which I think means the fixed temperature sensor (that's not resettable) tripped.  Is that right?  I still didn't get an alert at the keypad even at that point.  Do I have to just buy a new sensor now?  Is there a better way to test the ROR?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 08:13:37 PM by tattri »

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: did i ruin this fire detector?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 12:19:07 AM »
Yep, when the fixed temperature pops, it has to be replaced.

Demonstration video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRoguj8uLQg
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer
Systems supported:   DSC, Ademco/Honeywell, ITI/GE/Interlogix
-----------------------------
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

dilligaff

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 08:23:00 AM »
The way I test RoR heat detectors is to soak a rag in hot water, wring it out and then wrap the rag around the heat detector. This will give enough temperature rise to trip the RoR detector, but not trip the fixed temp sensor.
BEFORE all else fails

READ THE DIRECTIONS !!

tattri

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 09:45:10 AM »
The way I test RoR heat detectors is to soak a rag in hot water, wring it out and then wrap the rag around the heat detector. This will give enough temperature rise to trip the RoR detector, but not trip the fixed temp sensor.

That's a good idea, I guess I'll try that on the next one. :(  But the more I think about it, the more concerned I am that I never got an alarm at the keypad for either case.  Even if there is some sort of time delay in the RoR that I didn't get past, it seems like if the fixed temp sensor pops I should get a fault right away, right?  Like I said, this is only a two wire connected to the zone terminals on an extender, with a 2.2K resistor across the terminals at the detector (it's the only one), and I configured it as a hardwired extender fire zone in the panel.

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 12:38:27 PM »
Did you remove the end of line resistor from the original heat detector?
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer

tattri

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 03:30:55 PM »
This is and was the only heat detector in this partition, with no smokes (it's a detached garage, the house has its own partition and smokes).  It was a new install.

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 09:33:08 PM »
I have Chemetronics heat detectors in the basement.  One time I was testing the ROR with a heat gun (can be done if you are careful).  It never alarmed, soon, the fixed element popped and the disc blew off.  No alarm.  It was a defective detector that had failed completely between the previous test and that test.  Chemetronics detectors are kind of the industry standard, so it was a little disturbing.

ROR activates with any increase of temperature that is 15 degrees in a minute.  I don't normally test any detectors that have a nonrestorable fixed element, but the ROR can be done if you're careful.  The special tool for this made by Solo has a little rubber plug that deflects the hot air stream away from the collector disc.  I can get it with my heat gun, but I don't aim the hot air at the detector, just around the ceiling back and forth so it's not concentrated at the detector.  You only have to increase the temperature, not hit the 135 degree point.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 11:11:19 PM »
From a report from the NFPA...

"Total Inspections No. 13,415  Failed 66  % Failed 0.49%
Alarm Test Failed 35 53.03%
Incorrect Spacing 13 19.70%
Missing or Removed 8 12.12%
Damaged 4 6.06%
Incorrect Location 3 4.55%
Covered 1 1.52%
Excessively Dirty 1 1.52%
Painted 1 1.52%
Inspection vs. Testing
Comparison No. %
Issues of Inspection 31 46.97%
Issues of Testing 35 53.03%