Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

120 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: After Clear Memory on Concord Express then what?  (Read 256 times)

rbharr1

• View Profile
After Clear Memory on Concord Express then what?
« on: June 09, 2018, 11:32:10 PM »
Hello. I purchased a new home with a GE Concord Express (60-806 or 60-806-95R) Control Panel and what I believe is a GE 60-983 Keypad, and the previous owner forgot the user code as they never had it monitored and stopped using it. I followed an old post instructing how to "Clear the memory" after entering:

"The default code is 4-3-2-1.

Press the 8 key, followed by the 4321 and then 0-0.  If you get a low tone, the code has been changed and you have to find that code to clear that panels memory.

If by some miracle it lets you into program mode, press the "B" key until "Memory Clear" is displayed.  Press "D" and enter the code again.

This will clear all of the panels memory (Almost all if a DEALER CODE had been added as well) which will not allow you to enter phone numbers, etc."

Unfortunately, no additional instructions were given as to what to do AFTER clearing the memory. I need to be able to arm and disarm the system and don't need monitoring yet. Please assist if possible!! Thanks.

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
Re: After Clear Memory on Concord Express then what?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 09:41:41 AM »
If the "clear memory" works - that is, it prompts you to enter the code again - then the panel is defaulted.  No sensors are programmed, the panel will not do anything until it's reprogrammed.  Hopefully you defaulted it using the dealer code and not the installer code.   On these panels, they are different, and the installer code will allow a default but will not erase any communication settings, and it will still try to dial out. 

Next step is to program your protection zones (doors, motions, etc).  It's not hard to do, the thing you will need is the list of sensor groups from the manual.  That tells the system how you want the sensor (what we call a zone or a point) to react.  I think 10 is an entry/exit zone, 13 is an instant, etc.  You'll press # at the sensors menu, scroll (A and B keys) to learn sensors, enter the sensor group, and learn in your zones.  On these, you can't just program them at the keypad, you have to fault that point (open the door, etc) to learn it in, even if it's hardwired, unlike EVERY other panel out there.  The panel zones aren't preset at 1 through 8 like EVERY other panel out there, they can be 11, 56, 9, 27, 31, 69, 4, 10.  Or whatever sequence you want.  You tell the panel what zone you're learning in next, then fault it, and it learns that.  Zone number 1, for instance, isn't necessarily actually zone 1.  When installers do these out of order like that, I have visions of strangling them because it makes troubleshooting wired zones nearly impossible.

It's my opinion that the people at ITI/GE designed the Concord panels to be as backwards as possible!
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

rbharr1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 12:55:39 AM »
Thanks, Magnum.

I'm not sure if it was the dealer code or the installer code. But you are right, while I can now arm and disarm (as I have reset the Master Coder and created User Codes), no sensors are programmed!

I don't have the manual, so I'm also not sure about the list of sensor groups. However, there was a paper "Security Zone List" tucked into the control panel (with the following fields are columns filled out):

Zone #      Type       Device Location
--------      ------       -----------------
1               10           Front Door
2               10           Interior Garage Door
3               10           Side Mud Door
4               19           Family Rm Motion
5               13           Kitchen Door
6               13           Basement Door

How do I get "to" the Sensors Menu, so I can begin programming the protection zones IF the list above is correct?

Thanks!

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 08:49:28 PM »
Ok, so the Concord programming navigation is similar, but you should have one of two keypads.

The most common is a square-ish keypad, the keys are exposed.  On the left-hand side, there are keys A, B, C, and D and there will be panic key pairs, like A and 1 for fire, B and 2 for medical.  1 will be marked disarm, 2 stay, 3 away, I think,  On this keypad, the A and B keys scroll through the menus in program mode.

On the other type of Concord keypad, there will be a flip-down cover over the keys.  There are big, colored panic buttons on the left side, like a red flame and a green cross.  Next to the display are two keys, up and down.  Those are the keys to scroll through the menus.

On both keypads, the * key backs you out of the section you're in, and the # key selects the option you're on.

So, go into programming mode:  8 4321 00.
"System programming" should be displayed.  Press # to select that.
It should say "security" now.  Use your A or B or up and down keys to scroll through the menus, phone, phone options, etc.  Over to the "sensors" menu, then press # to select sensors.

I don't remember the exact layout or the sequence the sensors menu is displayed, but as you scroll through, you'll see options like learn sensor, edit sensor, delete sensor, edit sensor text.  You'll want to select (press #) when it says "learn sensors".

It should ask you for a group.  It sure looks like your sheet you found has the old sensor groups from before, because I'm pretty sure sensor group 10 is the entry/exit doors.  Go ahead and enter 10, then #.

It should say something like learn sensor 1.  Open your front door.  The keypad should beep twice when it learns that door in.
Now the keypad should say learn sensor 2.  Open the interior garage door.  Again, the keypad should beep twice.  This is sequential, so it should say learn sensor 3.  Open the mud room door.  Again, it should beep twice.

I'm not an expert on these, so it _may_ learn in your motion detector as you're walking past it on the way to learn in a door.  To be safe, cover the motion detector lens with a piece of paper to keep it from detecting you, until you're ready to learn in the motion detector.

Once you're done learning in the entry/exit doors, press * to back up to the previous menu.  It should ask for the sensor group number again.  Enter 19 then #.  It should prompt you to learn sensor 4.  Go to the motion detector, uncover it, and walk by it to trip it.  Hopefully you hear the two beeps, go ahead and cover it back up.

Press * to go back to the sensor group screen, and enter - you guessed it - 13, then #.  It should be asking you to learn sensor 5.  In the same manner, learn in the kitchen door and basement door.

Hopefully I'm somewhat accurate on this.  If it was all successful, press * a few times to back out of the sensors menus, until it says "system programming", then use your A/B or up/down keys to scroll to "exit programming ready" then press #.

I may have missed something!  I work on concords so intermittently that each time is a learning experience.

rbharr1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 05:31:14 PM »
Awesome! You are officially the man! Everything worked perfectly as if you were standing beside me or doing it yourself. Lol. It was just as your instructions stated. Thank you so much!

Now, I just need to turn down the volume (or silence) on the keypad in the Bedroom (I have one downstairs by the Garage Entry door as well) so it doesn't wake up the wife and baby with all the beeping.

I'm thinking of adding a SimpliSafe system for monitoring as a secondary alarm system with the hard-wired system.
I know it may be overkill, however I do like the less expensive monitoring at only $14.99 a month for when we are
away from home or out of town.

Thanks again for your help!

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 05:54:32 PM »
$14.99 is about what basic monitoring over a landline phone line should run for any system.  Check out Alarm Relay, their monitoring runs about $9-$10 a month.