Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

150 Guests, 1 User
AlarmMike

Author Topic: Phantom quick open/close zone  (Read 126 times)

Flyct

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Phantom quick open/close zone
« on: July 06, 2018, 07:47:58 PM »
We were getting ready for a 2 week trip. All of the sudden the vista 20p keypads gave a short beep as if a door opened and closed.

Looked at zone history and zone 6 showed closed 4 minutes ago. The zone is a hard wired zone with 4 windows daisy chained in series. These windows havenít been open in at least 6 months. I know, not good practice but thatís the way the House was wired back in 1996

All hurricane impact windows were closed and locked. No visible issues with magnets or contacts . 

So being we were leaving for 2 weeks I bypassed this zone and then set the alarm.

Any ideas what happened? 

I no longer trust this zone. Iíll probobly install 5900mini contacts on each window. Still would like to know why zone opened.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 08:22:27 AM by Flyct »

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Phantom quick open/close zone
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 09:32:36 PM »
Check each splice point on the zone.
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer
Systems supported:   DSC, Ademco/Honeywell, ITI/GE/Interlogix
-----------------------------
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

Flyct

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 02:01:56 AM »
Check each splice point on the zone.

Too much work. The original wiring is confusing. They Originally ran a cable with maybe 16 #24 wires in it. Originally 20 windows on 3 zones,  4 sliding glass doors on single zone, front door, back door and pool bath door on another zone and 3 motions on last of 6 zones. They are Not home run. All Splices are in attic buried in blown in insulation

When windows were replaced only that zone that false faulted, the zone for the Front and back doors and the 3 motion sensors are still hard wired.  I converted all other doors and windows to wireless with 5816s and 5811s.

Iím just glad I was home when they false faulted and not 750 miles away.

Iíll. Pick up 4 5800miniís and install them

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 12:28:52 PM »
Going to wireless is your best bet.

It seriously drives me UP THE WALL when I see some rooster installer ran one or two 22/10s to the panel and used one pair for each zone.  You just know there are splices everywhere.  Buried, never accessible again, unable to troubleshoot.

If they did things the correct way, and homeran each window, it's just a matter of finding which wire has the swinger on it, and isolating it.   Contacts do go bad.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

Flyct

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 10:37:58 PM »
Thanks for confirming wireless the way to go.

Yeah, going wireless on those 4 zones. Not in a rush as these windows are hurricane impact windows which make them more difficult to gain access compared to my front double entry door, my laundry door or my pool bathroom door.

The main purpose for the contacts will be to not allow alarm arming if any of these windows are left open. 

Installing and programming 4ea-5800mini contacts should only be a 30 minute job total if I work slowly. It will take more time notifying the CS and get it set up with the 4 new zones and delete the failed hard wired zone. 

Flyct

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 08:20:44 AM »
Thanks for confirming wireless is the way to go.

Yeah, going wireless on those 4 zones. Not in a rush as these windows are hurricane impact windows which make them more difficult to gain access compared to my front double entry door, my laundry door or my pool bathroom door.

The main purpose for the contacts will be to not allow alarm arming if any of these windows are left open. 

Installing and programming 4ea-5800mini contacts should only be a 30 minute job total if I work slowly. It will take more time notifying the CS and get it set up with the 4 new zones and delete the failed hard wired zone.