Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

122 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: How to remove/replace recessed hardwired magnetic contacts?  (Read 118 times)

gbguy

• View Profile
I've searched and searched and cannot find an answer.

I have a periodically stuck recessed 3/8" magnetic contact located in a wooden door frame.  What is the best way to remove it?  (I've considered drilling a hole into it, inserting a screw, and pulling it out).

I'm also concerned that there may not enough slack to pull it out and install a new one.

(Worst case I can put a wireless sensor there as I have some other wireless sensors installed).

TIA

TN DIY

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
Re: How to remove/replace recessed hardwired magnetic contacts?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 09:50:15 PM »
That has always plagued me. I always tried a small bladed screw driver and wedged it underneath the perimeter of the contact and pry it out. Sometimes it works and other time it doesn't. Good Luck.

Jimmiee

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 11:40:33 PM »
I have two sharp (ground down to narrow blades) small screw drivers. I push (force) each of the screw drivers down along opposite sides of the switch. When I get about a  quarter/half inch into the wood, I pry the switch out of the hole. Yes, you're going to mush the switch and you may have to pry for a bit and pick out pieces as the switch comes apart but this way you conserve the wires so that you can install a new switch. The hole may get a little messed up but a little bit of caulk can fix it right back to new.

Drilling it out is dangerous as the wires can get caught up in the drill bit and then your SOL.
If you find yourself going through hell ....
keep going.
Winston Churchill

gbguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 07:41:14 PM »
TN DIY, Jimmiee,
Thanks to both of you!

I had not received Jimmiee's recommendation before I removed the contact :-)

I made an unsuccessful attempt at levering out the contact with a small screwdriver and ended up (carefully) drilling into the contact with an 1/8" bit. I then screwed in a 4" deck screw for a handle.  It came out easily.

Thankfully it had a significant amount of loose wire attached.

Thanks again!

Static

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 01:30:24 AM »
All good suggestions. My fave is length of coat hanger bent into an "L" shape. Holding it so the "L" is upside down, push it up beside the contact (this is why I prefer 1/4" contacts in a 3/8" hole). When the base of the "L" is past the top of the contact, turn it 90 degrees so the base is now across the top and then pull the contact out. The base of the "L" is trimmed to just a couple millimetres. Works best with coat hangers made of thin metal to keep the tool small.
I have all the answers . . . some of them are correct.