Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

114 Guests, 1 User
ETray413

Author Topic: Two Issues With New NX-8E Board  (Read 725 times)

kpc34

• View Profile
Two Issues With New NX-8E Board
« on: August 09, 2018, 04:38:53 PM »
I replaced a bad NX-8 board with a new NX-8E and also added an NX-216E 16 Zone Expansion card, two new NX-1324E 24 Zone LED Keypads, and a new NX-148E-RF LCD Keypad (I have no wireless switches at the moment, all are hard wired). The only thing kept from the old NX-8 system is an NX-148 LCD Keypad.

Everything works but I have noticed 2 issues:

1) On occasion, I will notice that the LED keypads will have just the Red Power Light on - the Green ready light is off and no zone LEDs are flashing which is odd. Both LED keypads show this same issue. However, when this happens, the LCD Keypads show "System Ready". I have to press Cancel on the LED Keypad to get the ready light to come back on for the LED Keypads. Any ideas on why there is no Green Ready light when there are no flashing zone lights and the LCD Keypads show "System Ready"?

2) I have the intermittent no chime issue when a door or window is opened (the correct Zone light on the LED keypad does light up when there is no chime). I can immediately close and reopen the door and it does chime, so it is an intermittent no-chime issue. I did a search here and found an old post where someone described the same issue and the thinking was it is a know issue. Would a later version NX-8E board help this issue? The version number of the NX-8E board is 12.00 according to the programming tool worksheet so it is not the latest version as far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance...

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Two Issues With New NX-8E Board
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 07:24:40 PM »
I'm not aware of any persistent issues with the NX-8e - the thing is beyond mature.  AFAIK the current version is 19 - we have panels running versions 4 though 19 in the field and no one seems to have complained about this sort of problem.  Do the LCD keypads also extinguish their ready lights (you said this happens with the LED pads).  It would indicate an issue with the LED keypads if that was the case because of the way the system works.  Are the keypads also as old as the hills?

I ask the same about the chime issue - do both keypad types miss chimes?

And Is that really a 148 non-e keypad?

Not saying one way or the other, but if indeed you have non-e accessories, try disconnecting them and re-enrolling without and see if the problems persist.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:42:11 AM by bramfrank »
Able1 is a twit.  Correction, Twit is too mild a term.

kpc34

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 01:10:11 PM »
I'm not aware of any persistent issues with the NX-8e - the thing is beyond mature.  AFAIK the current version is 19 - we have panels running versions 4 though 19 in the field and no one seems to have complained about this sort of problem.  Do the LCD keypads also extinguish their ready lights (you said this happens with the LED pads).  It would indicate an issue with the LED keypads if that was the case because of the way the system works.  Are the keypads also as old as the hills?

I ask the same about the chime issue - do both keypad types miss chimes?

And Is that really a 148 non-e keypad?

Not saying one way or the other, but if indeed you have non-e accessories, try disconnecting them and re-enrolling without and see if the problems persist.
Thanks for the reply. When the NX-8E goes into that "non-ready/no green ready light" state, the green Ready light on all 4 keypads are OFF. It's off on both the 2 LED keypads and on the 2 LCD keypads. The 2 LCD keypads however display the "System Ready - Type Code to Arm" message at the same time their green Ready light is OFF (so, it would seem the green Ready light and the LCD Ready messaging component are 2 different bits of information).

It went into that "non-ready/no green ready light" state again last night and I left it that way overnight to see if it would recover on it's own. It stayed in the "non-ready/no green ready light" state this morning and pressing the Cancel button put it back into the normal Ready state with the green ready light ON.

Three of the keypads are new current E versions (2 LED and 1 LCD NX-148e-RF). The old LCD keypad I believe is an NX-148e as the circuit board says NX-148 with a sticker that says Version E.

One other thing I have noticed that is different from the old Caddx labeled NX-8 system is when entering the door with system armed on entry delay, the entry tone only sounds from the LCD keypads and not from the LED keypads (the sounder does work for other functions on the LED keypads).

One other note, the NX-8E was programmed by using the NX-586e/DL900 software, downloading the old NX-8 panel information and then uploading it to the new NX-8E panel. All information seems to have transferred correctly and it does connect to the central station for tests and daily reporting.

The problems along with the intermittent chime issue have me thinking it is time to try another NX-8E board?

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 04:33:32 AM »
So, using DL-900 what does the history report?  What does Keypad Status report when that ready light is off?

Have you taken all of the unused zones out of all the partitions?

kpc34

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 06:32:36 PM »
So, using DL-900 what does the history report?  What does Keypad Status report when that ready light is off?

Have you taken all of the unused zones out of all the partitions?
I went back and looked at the event log and there were no entries relating to the "not-ready/no green ready light" event.

I looked at all the DL-900 menu items and noticed that under "View -> Keypad Settings" for each Zone 129 through 192 there were entries for "Zone xxx Bypassed" and "Zone xxx Tamper". I zeroed out all unused zones from 25 to 192 (it looks like the default was On or a "1" for Partition 1 for all of these zones). I also disconnected the only original old NX-148e keypad (re-enrolled everything and it is not in the system now) and will see what happens. The "View -> Keypad Settings" now shows only a "Ready" event.

I also noticed that "Expanders -> Keypad Options -> Partition 1 -> Keypad 3 (208)" which is the first of the two NX-1324E LED keypads, the "Select Module" dialog box does not have an LED keypad option (the only options showing are NX-148E/NX-1192E, NX-1248E, NX-148E-RF). Is there supposed to be an LED keypad option here to select and continue to the programming box?

kpc34

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »
Update: I reset the NX-8E panel to factory defaults and only changed a couple of zone types to match the current zones (no other settings were changed from factory default). So far, the intermittent chime problem has not reappeared and the "not ready/no green ready light" condition has not returned (although that was a less common occurance, so time will tell). So it appears the NX-8E doesn't like something in the programming transfer (the original NX-8 panel settings were downloaded to the NX-586E/DL900 and then uploaded to the NX-8E panel).

I printed out both the original NX-8 and the new NX-8E worksheets from the DL900 software and compared all the settings on the two printouts and each line item is identical (the NX-8E has additional zones and that was left as factory default).

At this point, I will reprogram the settings manually. If that works, then some setting that is not documented must be getting changed in the transfer or there is a bug in the NX-586E/DL900.

I do still have the question about LED keypad programming in the DL900 software. I noticed that "Expanders -> Keypad Options -> Partition 1 -> Keypad 3 (208)" which is the first of the two NX-1324E LED keypads, the "Select Module" dialog box does not have an LED keypad option (the only options showing are NX-148E/NX-1192E, NX-1248E, NX-148E-RF). Is there supposed to be an LED keypad option here to select and continue to the programming box for LED keypads?

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 04:52:41 AM »
The issue was caused by the change from the NX-8 to the NX-8e - your '8' only had 48 zones and the e, 192 - you can't 'default' a panel change, you can only transfer the settings from one to the other - and I suspect that when they do the parameter change there's a limitation/bug in that they only zero out 128 (a nice round binary number) zones, rather than going all the way to the top.

But notwithstanding, leaving ANY unused zones defined (the default puts ALL zones into partition 1, which I think is just wrong, so you should pass through the settings and manually take unused zones out of all partitions in any case).

And since the impacted zones were outside the basic display range of the LED keypads the ready light and chime issues would not have zones displayed.

As to the 'select a keypad model' drop box, from the perspective of the programing software all LED keypads are the same, while LCD keypads have a variety of display configurations - programmable/fixed text and of course the RF keypads have the radio receiver.  Keypads will respond to all zone data encountered on the buss, which is why you had those phantom ready lights and chimes - the were happening on those high order zone numbers that the keypad was unable to display as programmed.

kpc34

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 01:50:21 PM »
The issue was caused by the change from the NX-8 to the NX-8e - your '8' only had 48 zones and the e, 192 - you can't 'default' a panel change, you can only transfer the settings from one to the other - and I suspect that when they do the parameter change there's a limitation/bug in that they only zero out 128 (a nice round binary number) zones, rather than going all the way to the top.

But notwithstanding, leaving ANY unused zones defined (the default puts ALL zones into partition 1, which I think is just wrong, so you should pass through the settings and manually take unused zones out of all partitions in any case).

And since the impacted zones were outside the basic display range of the LED keypads the ready light and chime issues would not have zones displayed.

As to the 'select a keypad model' drop box, from the perspective of the programing software all LED keypads are the same, while LCD keypads have a variety of display configurations - programmable/fixed text and of course the RF keypads have the radio receiver.  Keypads will respond to all zone data encountered on the buss, which is why you had those phantom ready lights and chimes - the were happening on those high order zone numbers that the keypad was unable to display as programmed.
Thanks for the information. Makes sense about the not ready light issue.

It looks like with the LED keypads, all the programming of the keypad options is done from the keypad and not from the DL900 software. The LED keypad enrollment does show up in the DL900 software but when you click on the LED keypad device, it asks for the keypad model (only LCD models are listed). I tried selecting an LCD model which allowed me to get to the programming options, but when implemented to the panel, an expander error code and beeping is generated.

The only thing left that is not working like the old NX-8 system is the sounder on the two new LED NX-1324E keypads for some functions. Door chime does work. Exit and entry armed beeps do not work (they do work on the two LCD keypads). For example, arming the system by pressing Stay generates the armed exit tone on the LCD keypads but not on the two LED keypads.

The manual for the NX-1300E series keypads only says it will do the armed exit or entry beeps "if programmed" but doesn't go into what location or code?