Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

111 Guests, 3 Users
dilligaff,
Flyct,
murphy62

Author Topic: 5816 help  (Read 120 times)

Firemn99

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
5816 help
« on: September 10, 2018, 12:23:41 AM »
Ok so here is the history. 

I am checking for my Grandmother.  She has an alarm through Guardian, which she has had for the last 22 years.  Recently, she had a service call to put a GSM on her system due to switching over to VOIP.  The GSM device was added in May. 

In May, she noticed that when she opened her back door (which is where the 5816 is located) the keypad would show a fault for approximately 3-5 seconds and then go back to showing "Ready" on her keypad.  Tonight her battery was low and asked me to change it out for her.  I immediately noticed that when the back door is opened, the system shows a fault for about 3-5 seconds and then the system reverts back to "READY."

She feels that this is a programming error when Guardian came out to install the GSM module.  I am thinking that it is a coincidence that this happened when they came out and I feel the transmitter itself is going bad, however, with her having Guardian she doesn't want them to come out due to the service charge.  I have the installer code for Guardian but if they know I am in there programming, they will not be happy about it, which I don't blame them.

Any thoughts on what could be the issue?

ChosunOne

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 5816 help
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 02:59:12 PM »
Wow, I can't believe no one has responded to this thread in five days.  0-0

First and foremost: This is NOT a programming error. There is no setting in programming that will have the control panel respond to the 5816 that way. I agree with you that it was coincidental that the trouble appeared (or she first noticed the trouble) right after the Guardian tech was out there.

The most likely source of the trouble is the 5816 itself; specifically, the reed switch inside the cover has probably gone flaky. Somewhat less likely is that the 5816 printed circuit board (PCB) has gone flaky. The inexpensive fix is to replace the 5816, which will entail your going into Panel Programming (assuming you have a 6160 or 6139 Alphanumeric Keypad--do you?) to delete the old sensor, and enroll the new sensor. Do NOT try to do this without an Alphanumeric Keypad.
If you haven't already, download the Installation manual whatever control panel (not the keypad) she has--the model number should be on the wiring diagram on the inside of the door of the steel cabinet where the panel lives. What model is it, btw? Vista-10, Vista-10SE, Vista-20SE, etc, etc?

Feel free to post back if you decide to try this yourself and one of us will be happy to give you a walk-through tutorial in deleting and replacing the 5816.

Guardian doesn't have to know you were in programming.  The system belongs to your grandmother, right?

_Much_ less likely is that the control panel itself has gone flaky, but that kind of failure is vanishingly rare. Open a few other doors/windows with 5816s and see if you get the same symptom. My guess is that you won't.  If you do, I'd like to hear about it.