Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

82 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Clearing low battery for a DW4917 zone?  (Read 530 times)

scorp508

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
Clearing low battery for a DW4917 zone?
« on: October 23, 2018, 09:12:07 AM »
DSC RFK5564 keypad and 1864 panel.

One of our EV-DW4917 zones threw a low battery alert, so I replaced it with a fresh Panasonic CR2 battery. The sensor is connected and operating properly when we open/close the door yet the low battery alert for the zone will not clear about 18 hours later. Does the panel only periodically check and update battery status for these sensor types or am I missing an obvious operation to perform? I haven't yet grabbed my multimeter to see if Amazon shipped me a set of bum batteries. Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 09:14:06 AM by scorp508 »

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
Re: Clearing low battery for a DW4917 zone?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 06:23:17 AM »
Battery trouble should clear as soon as soon as the battery is replaced and the tamper is restored.

I'd make sure the new battery is good, and that the wireless attribute is turned on for that point.  When wireless devices start getting flaky, its oftentimes the wireless attribute not being set.  In programming go into section 1nn, where nn is the zone number, and make sure bit #8 is turned on.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

scorp508

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 11:16:58 AM »
Thank you. I ended up doing a cold start of the system yesterday afternoon and it cleared the low battery code. Everything appears to be back to normal.

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 12:00:32 AM »
Also ensure that the wireless zone is not within an 8-zone bank of a PC5108 expander.
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer
Systems supported:   DSC, Ademco/Honeywell, ITI/GE/Interlogix
-----------------------------
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

rct

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 04:54:58 PM »
I seem to have the same problem with this sensor. Replaced the battery, low battery indication never cleared. The zone has the wireless attribute set in section 101.  I've replaced batteries in other sensors and have had the low battery status clear.

The sensor is in zone 1 on 1832.  There are no hardwired zones.  But that might have been the first sensor to report low battery in zone 1-8.

(I've got a TR5164 for the RF devices).

Yes, I know the battery is good and that the sensor isn't reporting low battery.

I'll try power cycling the panel at some point.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 04:58:22 PM by rct »

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 08:30:38 PM »
Man, I really don't like it when people put wireless transmitters on zones 1-8 or over any zone that has a hardwired EZM on these DSC panels.  It always spells trouble.  Sometimes it's never a problem, but when it is, the problems never stop.  We had a home that had a wireless CO detector over an unused, resistored-off hardwired zone and that was an issue every few months.  We replaced batteries, detectors, non stop.   Programming was correct.  Zone attributes, etc.

I just wish pro installers would stop doing it.  I always start my wireless zones at 9, even if there are no hardwired points.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

rct

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 01:46:22 PM »
@magnumalert that sounds like good practical advice based on experience.

A pro-installer did the installation with wireless only zones from 1-22 on an 1832 in July 2014. So far this is the only real zone 1-8 issue I've experienced.

As I understand it, I don't have enough zones on an 1832 to start all of the wireless devices at zone 9 because the wireless keypad is zone 29.  I have a TR5164-433 and a WT5500.  I believe even with the TR5164 being able to handle 64 zones, with the 1832 I'm still limited to 32 - the 4 keypad slots.  I have thought about upgrading to an 1864 to add some additional zones I'd like to cover.

apetrov1x5

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 10:31:56 AM »
Man, I really don't like it when people put wireless transmitters on zones 1-8 or over any zone that has a hardwired EZM on these DSC panels.  It always spells trouble.  Sometimes it's never a problem, but when it is, the problems never stop.  We had a home that had a wireless CO detector over an unused, resistored-off hardwired zone and that was an issue every few months.  We replaced batteries, detectors, non stop.   Programming was correct.  Zone attributes, etc.

I just wish pro installers would stop doing it.  I always start my wireless zones at 9, even if there are no hardwired points.

I hear you - I have to add now 2-3 wired motion sensors and for that I need to "move" some wireless sensors from zones 3-4 (maybe 5)...

Luckily I got tonnes of information here so hopefully will do it sooner rather that later!