Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

130 Guests, 1 User
dilligaff

Author Topic: Cleaning up panel box with Vista 20P  (Read 356 times)

EdLank

• View Profile
Cleaning up panel box with Vista 20P
« on: November 03, 2018, 11:01:08 PM »
I bought a 1990 home with all wired security sensors, and a keypad soon died.  Our monitoring service said it could no longer program the board because they no longer had Win2k, so they replaced the control board with a Vista 20P and 3 6160 keypads..  They did not replace the panel enclosure, so the new board is awkwardly hanging from a screw in one corner.  I cannot upload a picture now (I see warning "the attachment upload directory is not writable") so I cannot show how it looks.  The wiring is quite messy with a lot of coiled excess wire in there.  This is still monitored, but via a landline.

I would like to add a wired carbon monoxide sensor and a water sensor.  There is still no ethernet or cell access, so I am considering adding an iGSMVG board, too.  To do that, I will need the master control code, and I do not have that.  I have the installer code, so could reset the master code.  Would that block the monitoring company all access?

I bought the correct enclosure for the Vista 20P, but with only one board, now see how prone to errors this would be to remove all wires and feed into the new box without a board to attach them until all wires are removed.  What does a meticulous installer do?  Should I just add a plywood board so I can attach the PC board more securely in the current enclosure?

(The site is still not accepting images on 11/04/2018.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 09:31:02 PM by EdLank »
Ed

EdLank

• View Profile
Re: Cleaning up panel box with Vista 20P
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 07:27:39 PM »
Why when I try to post an image, well below the size limit, do I get the message below?

"The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved."
Ed

murphy62

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 07:34:54 PM »
My guess is that you have to have some minimum number of valid posts before you are approved to post images.  A result of all of the spamming of message forums that has been going on for years.

EdLank

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 08:10:07 PM »

Click For Full-Size Image.[/url]

Okay, here it is via an external site.  Would it be better to make a loop of the extra wire OUTSIDE the enclosure?
Ed

TN DIY

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 04:21:35 PM »
 I'd move the circuit board to the new box and use the other box as a junction box.

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 10:35:24 PM »
Sigh.

Nothing surprises me any more.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

EdLank

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 12:48:09 PM »
Back to the master code question.  If I change that, when does the monitoring service notice?  Only when they need to reset an alarm, or do they routinely log onto the boards periodically and verify normal response?  I will need to disable phone access before I make changes like add a cell/IP board, and probably go cheaper at the same time, or self monitored.

What should be holding that siren circuit board?  Hanging by double sided padded foam rubber does not seem very secure, even if it were still adhesive.

I ordered the security enclosure on eBay and it came "can only" but I had no idea the board is not fully screwed to the panel.  I now see that it relies on plastic clips to hold it which (as you can imagine) I do not have.  Can I get just the 4 (or whatever number of clips) I need without some big bundle of other stuff?
Ed

murphy62

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 01:15:52 PM »
The Master code is for your use in creating and deleting regular users.

If you own the panel and have an independent monitoring company they don't need any codes.

If you don't own the panel then the company that installed it needs the Installer code.

EdLank

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 09:34:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I am considering adding a zone expander to add water sensors (basement, attic AC condenser pan) carbon monoxide sensors, and perhaps garage door switches, and perhaps a cellular/IP board.  If I do that, and add another battery, should I change to a commercial enclosure (Honeywell UL KT or another) to have enough space?  I see no images of the interior one of those commercial enclosures to know if the back is designed to accept a Vista 20P, or if it is entirely different.  If it is not similar, what does one do to mount the Vista 20P?  One poster on here mentioned in the distant past he would use commercial enclosures to give himself plenty of space.  How much work is that?

It looks like the zone expander is in a plastic case or mount.  That seems weird.  I assume it gets screwed into the standard enclosure.  Why the plastic mount?
Ed

EdLank

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 10:06:36 PM »
Step 1 was to clean up the power distribution around the circuit breaker box.  Power was supplied from way across the mounting board from another breaker box.   I added a new outlet closer to the security box, and the security panel AC adapter was not powered for over 1 hour.  I got a call from the monitoring company with the message that the AC power had been lost.   I have lost power to the house for longer than that in the past, and not gotten any call.  I did not realize that the central monitor would be notified, but why this time and not any other time I lost all house power?  The alarm was not set.  When I realized that the central monitor had called, the alarm was doing well, and I even activated it while running on battery backup.  I have more work to do, so without any programming to erase phone numbers, how do I prevent another alert?  I know I can disconnect the phone line from the panel, but will that still cause a delayed alarm and generate a call?  Is just calling to say I will lose AC power again the most appropriate action?
Ed

Flyct

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 11:39:28 AM »
When your working on the alarm just cal the central station and tell them to put it “on test” for as many hours as you want. That way they will ignore any events.

To answer your question about not being notified for long periods of powe outages there are 2 things.
1. Trouble reports for ac power loss are randomized with up to a 4 hours delay.
2. If there is a loss of power to the area the alarm company may know it’s neighborhood and ignore it.

EdLank

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 09:34:58 PM »
I have verified I do not have the master code.  I have learned a lot from the manuals and this site compared to what I knew when we had a keypad die on the Radionics and the monitoring company replaced that with a Vista 20P with no discussion.  Anyway, not having the master code now seems pitiful.  I could have been doing so much more than I have been.  I cannot add user codes for visitors, for example.  I also cannot run a test.

Anyway, it looks like the best thing is for me to set the master code to something new, and let family members who currently know the user code continue using that.  I would like to start running periodic tests, so I want to have the master code.

An inventory of the Vista 20P shows that all 10 first floor windows are on a zone, all the smoke detectors are on a zone (basement, floors 1, 2, and attic), first floor doors (4 of them) 4 second floor windows, basement (1 door, 2 windows), and 3 PIR detectors.

Documentation I found from the original system (Radionics 6112) shows 16 "channels".  Some of the numbers are 19 to 28.  I was wondering what these are.  That is terminology I am not seeing with the Vista.  I will see if there are labels on the wires...maybe they have identified them for me...
Ed

TN DIY

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 10:53:29 PM »
I had a 6112 in my house. I believe the "channels" were actually zones as the 6112 could had have 8 zones on the main board and 8 more on the 640 expansion module.