Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

114 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: PC1832 questions (water shutoff when away, cabinet lock/tamper, ipDatatel)  (Read 634 times)

dscdscdsc

• View Profile
I've recently started installing my own alarm system. I've be learning as I go and it's definitely a work in progress.

Alarm summary:
PC1832
Two PC5003C cabinets
Two PC5108 zone expanders
Two FSA-210B 2-wire smoke detectors
Six LC-100-PI motion detectors
Three surface contacts on crawlspace doors (wired as one zone)
Three exterior doors
One Shatterpro Glass break
One interior siren (15 watts)
Two external sirens (30 watts each)
Two keypads (RFK5500eng, PK5500eng)
Two 7aH batteries (one in each cabinet)
Altronix SMP3PM power supply, Elk 912 relay for external sirens
EVL-4

I'm not sure if its possible but i would like to shutoff my water while in away mode. Could i do this with the remaining PGM2?
What is the proper cabinet lock and tamper switch/bracket for a PC5003C? Does it have to be DSC brand?
Can you use a cellular communicator and the EVL-4 for self monitoring? My internet can be unreliable at times. From my research I like the ipDatatel IP CAT CDMA.

Thanks for the help!

dscdscdsc

• View Profile
Re: PC1832 questions (water shutoff when away, cabinet lock/tamper, ipDatatel)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 10:14:54 PM »
I'm still doing research on the PGM programming to shut a valve when away. PGM output option 017 says it activates in away mode. I do not see a PGM output for disarming. Any ideas? It looks like i'll need a PC5208 if more PGM's are required.
Thank you

fremont611

• Security Guru
  • You smell somethin'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 11:44:22 PM »
the pgm will activate when armed in away and deactivate when disarmed so you wont really need another one to activate upon disarm to achieve what you want, just have a relay trigger whatever device you need to shut the valve when active, and open the valve when inactive,.....if you need more pgms, a 5208 board will give you 8 more, the keypads can also be configured for additional pgm outputs on the 5th terminal.
Not sure of your setup but you may want to rethink shutting the main off everytime you arm in away, my personal opinion is itís probably not a good idea, water heater still on, ice-maker etc,etc. plus may cause issues just turning off and on possibly several times a day, like I said though I know nothing about your actual setup just something to think about

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 08:22:29 PM »
I would install one or more water bugs that will trip that PGM when they activate to stop the water supply.

I've thought about trying to "build" a shutoff device that will pull the ball valve closed via a spring if it gets voltage.   Elk Products, however, makes a voltage-operated shutoff valve exactly for this purpose.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

dscdscdsc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 09:40:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I've known two people recently that homes flooded while they were away. I guess that has me scared.
The water sensors wouldn't be a bad idea. Not sure the ideal places to install them. Under each sink? Under house? What's the best?

Is this the valve?
https://www.jmac.com/Elk_WSV2_p/ELK-WSV2.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6ez0nMTz3gIVUV8NCh2vWwe4EAkYBSABEgL63PD_BwE

Thanks again for the guidance

dilligaff

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 05:19:02 PM »
The obvious place to start is at the water heater. The tank can rust out and the pressure relief valve can fail. If you have flexible supply lines at the water heater they can fail.
BEFORE all else fails

READ THE DIRECTIONS !!

VR46

• Security Master
    • View Profile
I would install one or more water bugs that will trip that PGM when they activate to stop the water supply.

I've thought about trying to "build" a shutoff device that will pull the ball valve closed via a spring if it gets voltage.   Elk Products, however, makes a voltage-operated shutoff valve exactly for this purpose.
This is exactly what I would like to do. What "bugs" do you recommend for PC1832 set up as NC with EOL?  Preferably hard wired with low current draw as I'd install at least 6 of them.

I'm thinking of building a shut-off device myself using use a motor and a large handle on the valve to get the torque. Your spring idea is interesting, maybe using a solenoid to "release" the spring. Or maybe I can use a weight and gravity to move the handle.  Many options rather than spending hundreds on an off the shelf device.