Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

132 Guests, 1 User
EdLank

Author Topic: How can I reset my NX-8E ?  (Read 144 times)

dannyb

• View Profile
How can I reset my NX-8E ?
« on: December 01, 2018, 07:07:05 PM »
Hi. I'm based in Australia. I recently bought a used NX-8E from the US (I currently have a working NX8), as I want the serial connect functionality for home automation integration.

It didn't have the codes (which are not default), but I assumed it would be like Australian delivered Hills/Interlogix panels - which allow a factory reset by entering a code within 10 seconds of start up. Apparently this does not work with the US models :(

I have made a serial cable and used a USB/serial adapter to attempt a serial connection, but this did not work. I think the serial port needs to be enabled via the installer code. :(

It was a $100 and several weeks wait to get the panel here, so I don't want to give up on it. Is it possible to connect a phone line and dial into it?

I have a NX-595E lying about, but the Ethernet port on it is dead (the voice module may still work) - any way I can use that? I think it may also need to be enabled via the installer code.

Any options here?

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: How can I reset my NX-8E ?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 05:45:50 AM »
There are a couple of ways, but you'll be better off buying another board for all the trouble and cost involved.
Able1 is a twit.  Correction, Twit is too mild a term.

dannyb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 05:48:58 PM »
It is hard to find an NX8E here in Australia, or a home automation module.

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 11:06:26 AM »
At issue there is that Caddx rights were held by an Aussie company that modified the products for their own needs.  They designed their own keypads, for example and, in the end Interlogix bought that company and has been integrating the Aussie products into their core product line - things like the 1800 series keypads, the 595 (which in North America has no voice capabilities and for which the Osborne Huffman reporting protocol is broken and they have no idea how to fix it) . . . . 

The point is that the Aussies probably never brought in the NX8e as such - there are some international model numbers (such as the NX-10) which might be 8e's in disguise, but I don't know and it doesn't impact on my business.

You can always buy brand new NX-8e boards or panels from the states, you already have an idea of the shipping costs, I guess.

dannyb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 05:50:52 PM »
Cheers, that explains a lot. I was never sure of the relationship between Caddx, Hills, DAS, and Interlogix.

My main issue with buying a new NX8E is that it is very hard to find anyone willing to ship the board only to Australia at a reasonable rate. Most places seem to either want to sell a whole alarm package or put $100 shipping on top.

I went down this route because I was unable to find a NX-584E in Australia, and couldn't find anyone to ship one. I did previously have a ComNav v1, but it stopped working (a capacitor desoldered itself from the board - I tried soldering on a replacement, but can't get a network connection. Guessing there was a deeper issue!).

I think I may have to write off the cost of the NX8e and find another solution.

I've made a cable as per fostiras's instructions, but I can't get a serial connection established (no activity on the port at all!). I think the port is not enabled.

If I can track down a 56k modem I may be able to connect my phone line to the NX8e and dial in from my neighbours house - assuming the board is set to answer, and the download code is default (I think this is the requirement to update via DL900 and 56k modem?).

I guess another option might be a Interlogix NX-586E Quiklink Direct Connect, but that costs AUD$200, which is a bit much for something I would use once.

bramfrank

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 09:28:19 AM »
There's no enabling the serial port - it works out of the box and can't be disabled.

You may (or may not) be able to get a modern dial-up modem to connect - most alarmcos use really old Hayes smartmodem 1200s - I keep a spare on the shelf for if/when the one we use dies.

The actual data transfer rate between the modem and panel is 300 baud because the modem in the panel is implemented completely in software and the processor isn't exactly fast.  You can configure the various control strings, but some of the requirements (to establish a call in answer mode, for example) may not be available in whatever modem you have on hand.  The 586 and 588 speed up the transfer dramatically and the 595 takes it a step further.

Yes, you do need to get the 8 digit download code right to be able to access the panel and if the board is locked, remote access may be the ONLY way to access and default the board.

Good luck

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 05:30:55 PM by bramfrank »

dannyb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 07:39:22 AM »
I plugged the NX8e into my phone line, and attempted a dial via my mobile phone. The panel answers, so that's good.

Sadly I don't own a 56K modem any more (my father-in-law may have my old US Robotics Courier, but he lives 2 hours drive away).

Anyone want to attempt to dial in ? :)