Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

98 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Question about water sensor WS-1 + relay to be used on DSC PC1616  (Read 275 times)

Nebula

• View Profile
Hi, I have a problem with water at home.. and my water sensor hooked to my PC1616 is triggered at least once or twice per year.. preventing serious basement flooding each time (at least). The model I use is the GRI #2600 it's a 4 wires, the 12 volts will keep it close until water touches the contacts then this open the zone, very sensible and effective sensor.

But problem is, that sensor is quite expensive too at 41CAD and it's not drying well once water touches it, it will either remain open with 12v power on all the time or it becomes hazardous. I need to remove it after each incidents and close the  panel loop with a jumper wire... Usually I need to buy another one.

More then that, the contacts will rust easily.

So I went to the electronic store and, they sold me something else, a similar water sensor the WS-1 but 2 wires, normally open and much less expensive, it needs to be installed with little relay in order to make it work on a closed loop like my 4 wires GRI.  Not too complicated to install the relay and that sensor is only 9CAD instead of 41CAD for de GRI.

I want to validate if this is a good choice, safe and reliable, to use the WS-1 with the little relay instead of the 4 wires GRI?

Similar to this one.
http://www.tanealarm.com/products/accessories/tane-ws-1/

Thanks

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
Re: Question about water sensor WS-1 + relay to be used on DSC PC1616
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 05:51:04 PM »
If it works, it works.  Do you have any specific info on the model you're trying to use?  Perhaps we can give it a recommendation.

Hopefully it's a product that's also available here in the states.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

Nebula

• View Profile
Re: Question about water sensor WS-1 + relay to be used on DSC PC1616
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 09:14:21 AM »
Hello Magnum Alert

I don't have anymore informations about the WS-1 sensor. Of course there is a small relay I had to buy separately, I suspect that relay could drain the battery of the system a bit faster when we have power loss compared to only a 4 wire sensor, but that's just a wild guess.

I hooked up that system about a year ago using a 12v transformer, the sensor and the relay worked fine. I just don't know how reliable the relay is, that one in the picture was quite expensive I think around 20CAD.

Thanks