Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

122 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: DSC PC1616 - Installer Code Issue  (Read 242 times)

Runwire

• View Profile
DSC PC1616 - Installer Code Issue
« on: December 22, 2018, 06:39:26 PM »
I am having trouble with my DSC PC1616 installer code, and I hoped that someone might be able to explain what could be going on. After entering * 8 followed by my installer code, I receive the accepted tone and the armed light on my keypad lights up. The manual indicated this means it is ready for the 3-digit section number. This is where I'm having a problem... No matter what section number I enter, I receive the error tone. I have confirmed that Installer Lockout is enabled by power cycling the alarm panel.

To be honest, I did not know what the installer code was. I just guessed it: 6666. I had assumed the original installer was lazy but not lazy enough to change it to something other than the default 5555. I only assume this is the correct installer code because of the accepted tone and armed light coming on. I am attempting to program the PGM1 and PGM2 zones (009).

Any advise would be appreciated!

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: DSC PC1616 - Installer Code Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 03:09:30 PM »
What is the version number of the panel?
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer
Systems supported:   DSC, Ademco/Honeywell, ITI/GE/Interlogix
-----------------------------
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

Runwire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 05:46:06 PM »
Information on the sticker states:
Model: PC1616, Ren=0.1
Version: 4.23CP01

After doing some more research, I found (http://www.shieldlab.com/forum/index.php?topic=18023.0) that 6666 is not the installer code. This unfortunately seems to be a code used by the factory and does not actually work. At this point, it seems that I have three options:

1. Attempt to guess the installer code (0000 - 9999)
2. Attempt to connect it to a computer with a DSC PC-link cable and hope the download access code has not changed.
3. Purchase a new alarm panel.

What would you recommend?

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 08:20:37 PM »
Ya know, you're not the first person to bring up that 6666 code, someone brought it up on here a few years ago too.   I know exactly what you're talking about, but still haven't figured out what its purpose is.

So, you're getting the rapid clicks when you power the system up?

4.2 panels are about 10 years old now.

You're absolutely correct about the PC-Link.  You could go through the trouble of getting the cable, a USB to serial adapter, downloading DLS, and try the old trick of plugging the cable in at the right time - and there could still be a DLS access code set which would keep you from connecting to the panel.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

Runwire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 07:07:33 PM »
Correct, I am getting the rapid clicks when I power the system up. I also purchased the alarm system almost 10 years ago. I actually was able to borrow the DSC PC-Link cable and USB-to-Serial (Sabrent) adapter from a friend. He was also able to provide me with the DLS 5 application.

The Port Settings on the USB-to-Serial adapter (COM4) is as follows:

Bits per second: 115200
     Data bits: 8
     Parity: None
     Stop bits: 1
     Flow control: None

So far, I have not been able to connect. I'm not receiving any error regarding an invalid access code. I've been using the default access code and panel ID: 161600.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 09:52:20 PM by Runwire »

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 09:56:09 PM »
Yes, you're locked out if you heard the relay chatter.  DLS software is hard to come by.

While "technically" PC5010 keypads aren't compatible with the newer 1616 / 1832 / 1864 panels, they will still work.  Only real issue might be with broadcasting zone labels if they are alpha keypads.

So, you should be able to pick up a PCB only and swap it out.
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer

fremont611

• Security Guru
  • You smell somethin'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 09:22:19 AM »
do u have the master code? if you do, try entering *6master code 5 ## to enable dls for 6 hours, and then try connecting, ....dls is a pain in the arse, i never DLS except on neo panels , like most everything in the alarm industry, itís behind technology by about 20 years

Apparently DSC is coming out with a pro NEO panel that has a USB port and they think itís a big deal, yes DSC it would have been a big deal 20 years ago, now we want a bluetooth connection, looking forward to 2039 to see it

Runwire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 01:11:46 PM »
Thanks for everyone's feedback, especially fremont611 for letting me know that DLS has to first be enabled! After I enabled DLS using the master code on the keypad, I am now receiving a prompt that the access code is invalid. Sooooo, it now seems pretty clear that I've either got to guess the 4-digit installer code or just purchase a new alarm panel.

In regards to purchasing a new alarm panel, it seems that the PC1616 board is pretty cheap ($50). If I were to use this as an opportunity to upgrade, does anyone have any good recommendations? It seems that if I go with anything newer than the PowerSeries line that I'll also have to update the keypads.

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 03:05:46 PM »
Depending on the number of zones you currently have and desire to add more in the future,  I would suggest spending a couple dollars more and go with a PC1832 PCB for replacement.

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 10:52:15 PM »
The PC-Link isn't enabled/disabled by any user action or programming other than going into program mode and doing the 499.

Any user commands pertaining to DLS downloading are for answering incoming calls from the downloader. 

If you're going to replace the board, I, too, would recommend the few extra dollars for a PC1832.  DLS is an option in, but if there's a DLS access code in the panel (and it's safe to assume there probably is), you still wouldn't have access.

I put downloader access codes into every panel I service and program, but I never enable the installers lockout.  It's not going to hold the customer hostage, if a customer wants to switch and a competitor wants the business, they'll just give them a panel anyways, or if the next owner of the house inherits the alarm system and the dealer is long gone, they should have a way to get it working...
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.