Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

36 Guests, 1 User
aznative

Author Topic: Zone Fault  (Read 375 times)

JRus

• View Profile
Zone Fault
« on: December 31, 2018, 07:36:38 PM »
I am not technically savvy in this field but I'm hoping someone can help.

I recently added an EyezON module to my existing DCS 1832 panel. I have 8 zones, all wired, all of which worked fine before adding the EyezON. One zone in particular, a wired heat detector, showed up with a fault on the keypad afterwards (keypad Ptk5507). The status lights are green and the heat sensor works fine as I have tested it using other zones and works fine. All zones have a green checkbox beside them (except the motion sensors for obvious reasons) but the heat detector still has the yellow fault icon beside the checkbox. I have tried cycling the power and the fault icon still returns. The alarm system functions fine despite this but I want to know if there is a way to clear this fault from the memory?

TIA.

fremont611

• Security Guru
  • You smell somethin'?
    • View Profile
Re: Zone Fault
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 08:58:26 AM »
probably jiggled a wire loose for the heat sensor whilst adding the module, verify the heat sensor wires are secured on the re repective zone/common

JRus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 03:02:53 PM »
Everything seems to be connected securely. The display panel (PTK5507) shows that the connection is good and it is receiving signals from it. It just has (what I assume is an old) fault that won't go away.

fremont611

• Security Guru
  • You smell somethin'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 07:15:08 PM »
Needs a 5.6k resistor in parallel with the heat sensor, preferably at the heat sensor, but if you only added the module I can't imagine it's not there, if the absolute only thing you did was add the module and the trouble wasn't there before you added the module..... Something else had to have changed, did you do anything else? programming?..... anything?, try putting a 5.6k across the zone without the heat sensor attached and see if the trouble clears

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 09:09:49 PM »
As above...  Next step may be to move the sensor over to a different zone, program and test.
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer
Systems supported:   DSC, Ademco/Honeywell, ITI/GE/Interlogix
-----------------------------
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

JRus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 06:13:41 PM »
Hey fremont611, I might need to try putting just a resistor across the zone to see if it clears because nothing else has changed other than adding the EyezON module. I did disconnect some of the zones briefly during the EyezON install but nothing else was changed.
AlarmMike I forgot to mention that I did attempt to move the heat sensor to a different zone during troubleshooting. It was originally on zone 7 and a motion detector was on zone 6. I switched the two and after a power cycle both still showed green check marks at the keypad display, but zone 7 still had the yellow zone fault icon beside it...which was actually now a motion sensor. Not sure what that now means.

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 08:35:31 PM »
If you power cycled, make sure you check your troubles again with *2.   A power cycle will always cause a loss of clock trouble (#8 on the non-alpha keypads) even if everything else is ok, until the clock is set.

As long as zone 7 sees the 5.6K, the fault trouble should clear.  Now, if you have a motion on 7, and it's still programmed as a fire zone, it will go into zone fault each time motion is detected because the motion detector will open the loop, with the resistor wired in series.  Put the motion back onto zone 6, and strap a 5.6K across zone 7 and see if that clears. 

Even if that trouble goes away, any other trouble on the system will keep the trouble light on.  Don't just assume that it's always related to zone 7.  Check programming section 107 and make sure the #8 bit is off, too.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

JRus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 01:34:59 AM »
Thanks Magnum Alert. I will try the resistor and reply back.
I have a DCS PTK5507 touchscreen keypad so the trouble brings me right to the zones and I can see that the zone fault icon is always beside zone 7 so I know for sure it isn't something else. The weird part is that it also has a green checkbox like all the other zones (usually indicating normal communication) so that part still confuses me.
I will report back after trying the resistor. Does it matter what W the resistor is? 0.5, 1, 2?

JRus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 01:55:25 PM »
So I disconnected the heat detector (which had a 5.6k resistor in it) and just put a simple two wire connection with a 5.6k in it and the fault cleared. I then tried to hook the heat detector back up and it faulted again. I then tried replacing the 5.6k in the heat detector just in case...no luck.
Does that mean that the heat detector itself is done for?

**UPDATE...I realized that when I was doing other troubleshooting that it took a bit of time for the power cycle to completely boot up and for the fault to show up, so I retried disconnecting the heat detector and putting a simple two wire connection with a 5.6k and the zone fault still showed up. So that means it's not the heat detector, and it's not the wiring. I'm thinking it has to be in the software that the fault needs to be cleared? Is that even possible? I'm still awaiting the installer codes from the alarm company I used to be with as I assume I will eventually need access (on a side note they want to charge me $100 service fee to come and input their installer code so I can have access to equipment that I own... ::))
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 11:09:15 PM by JRus »

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 03:10:54 PM »
Is the EOLR wired in series or parallel?   And what zone type is it programmed as?
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer
Systems supported:   DSC, Ademco/Honeywell, ITI/GE/Interlogix
-----------------------------
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011