Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

122 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: System arms but won't alarm  (Read 286 times)

lay3r3

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
System arms but won't alarm
« on: January 07, 2019, 06:01:16 PM »
I have a bit of a head scratcher.  I have to believe it's obvious but just blowing by my head.  I've got a GEM-P1664 wired with four GEM-DK1CA keypads.  Nothing really crazy going on here... all hard wired contacts.  I haven't yet wired up the motions so I've got them set to Zone Area 2 so the zone isn't showing not-ready.  Keypads are all on Zone Area 1 along with all doors and windows.  Everything seems to work great with respect to the zone activity showing up.  Window or doors open and the keypads reflect what's going on.  I've also got smokes on zone 7 and CO on zone 8 and that works great.  Panel is not monitored.

This is where it gets weird.  Today I tried for the first time to arm the alarm and set it off as a test.  I set the panel to AWAY (also tested STAY with same result) and after it counted down the keypad showed the system was armed.  I opened a door that was not set as an entry/exit and nothing.  I opened a window and nothing.  I opened the entry/exit door and nothing.  Keypad just sat there with the red light on saying "System Armed." 

I've gone over everything but nothing is jumping out at me.  I confirmed all the zones are set to Alarm Output (addr 0910).  They are on Zone Area 1 and keypad obviously is since it sees them and their ready state.  Alarm output (addr 1414) is at 15 min.  I've got all the system event/trouble items (addr 0836-0843) blank since I'm not monitored and don't have wireless.  For Area 1 system event/trouble I've only enabled alarm output on Ambush and keypad panic (addr 0857) and Pulsed output enabled for keypad fire (0856).  Although I didn't test ambush/panic. 

So needless to say - I'm baffled!  Anyone have any clear suggestion of a parameter I must be overlooking?

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
Re: System arms but won't alarm
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 07:21:34 PM »
That's a strange one.  Did you program this via the keypad or with Quickloader?

These zones DO show as being faulted when the system is disarmed?
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

lay3r3

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 10:38:45 PM »
Programmed via Keypad.  And yes, the keypads show the appropriate zone faulting when I open something when it's disarmed.  Door chimes and window chimes as an example work perfectly as well.  It's the strangest thing.

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 06:29:40 PM »
I was wondering if you had the follower bit enabled for all your zones, basically making them interior zones.  That would explain the no alarm when it's armed, but if it's being armed in away mode, even if they're set as follower, they SHOULD still alarm.  However, in order for it to arm away, it needs to see any zone set as entry/exit open and close during the delay. 

I would double check the programming for the zones and make sure the follower bit isn't enabled for zones that aren't motion detectors.  In the meantime, I'll check the programming book and see if I can think of anything.  I NEVER have problems with Napco, ever.  Do you have the specific version of your panel?  When you hit yes at "activate program", it should flash two numbers.  The first number is the panel version, the second is the keypad version. 

I've had older systems like 816s and 3200s get corrupted because of a firmware incompatibility issue with keypads, but I'm assuming your equipment is all new.  and that was two systems in ten years.

BenZo

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 10:36:44 AM »
I turn the question over, how can I program my system to show these symptoms? I tried it several way but still nothing. So it is really good puzzle...

lay3r3

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 12:36:38 PM »
@Magnum, I agree... I don't have much experience but the reason I've used Napco on the last two homes is b/c it was flawless and great to use.  The version is 319E and I did validate followers but agree... if I have followers enabled you'd think the panel would still go into alarm but not monitor any of the follower zones.  I was wondering if it's something weird in that I have two "areas" in play.  I was debating about moving the motions that are currently on area 2 into area 1 and shorting them so they aren't open and seeing if the behavior changes.  They are sitting in area 2 b/c they were wired for future installation and when I went to install them I was seeing power over the contact leads which was odd. 

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 09:12:46 PM »
If any burglary loop is open, you'll see some voltage.  Usually around 4-6 volts with the resistor (zone status normal), 12-13ish if it's completely open, 0 volts if it's shorted.  The panel monitors the status of the loops by their voltage.

I can't imagine how having the motions on area 2 can cause an issue, but I do know that on some of the older Gemini 3200s, there was a known issue with partitions interfering with each other with a certain firmware.  Maybe try removing the motions from area 2 altogether?