Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

123 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: question about Vista 20p zone expansion  (Read 145 times)

aznative

• View Profile
question about Vista 20p zone expansion
« on: February 12, 2019, 12:50:35 PM »
I'm remodeling my home and wish to use hardwired sensors as much a possible but the vista 20p has only 8 hard wired zones.  I want 13. I read up on using zone doubling resistors and it looks like it still only reports as a single zone.  Is this correct?

Does a zone expander #4229 allow for reporting of individual zones on the expander?

Also, I need a relay expansion relay module to trip an electric latch.   I need it to activate and hold for a duration of time say 30 seconds.    Looking at the programming manual, it
  The Vista 20p manual has the procedure to address these modules thru the special functin keys which would be great.  Unfortunately I does not give a time length/limit of activation.  It looks like I would have to use a special function key to activate and one to de-activate.  Is this correct?

Lastly, this isn't my first go around with a vista 20p.  I"ve programmed three with  both wireless PIRs and FOBs.   I've never done any expansion module programming and it looks more difficult.  I'm hoping my comprehension improves when I fill out the work sheets.  Any and all inputs will be appreciated.

BTW I may end up going with battery powered wireless motion dectectors and doubling  up to get my  5 extra zones if I must.

Thanks for the feed back in advance.

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
Re: question about Vista 20p zone expansion
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 09:17:13 PM »
If you use zone doubling, your base zones will be numbers 2-8 and the expanded zones will be 10-16.  They don't "share" zone numbers.  So it sounds like what you're hearing is not correct.

Yes, both the 4219 and 4229 expanders will show 8 different zones.

for your electric latch, you could use an Altronix timer relay that holds the relay for 30 seconds after being triggered by the panel.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

aznative

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 12:31:27 PM »
I was of this opinion because of what I read in the Installation/operation manual Section 2 page 6 (2-6) titled Zone Doubling.   This feature provides two hardwired normally closed zones for each standard hardwired zone connected to the control's terminals (but does not increase the total number of zones supported by the control).  I also take it from this statement that you have to bypass control of both zones if a problem occurs and you haven't repaired it yet.  Is this correct?

Thank you

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 06:56:32 PM »
Nope.  Zones operate independently of their piggybacked doubled zone.  So if you needed to bypass zone 10, which shares the same physical input as zone 2, zone 2 will be unaffected.  By using different EOL resistors on 2 and 10 (for instance), the panel is able to differentiate which zone is faulted.  The only caveat is that only normally closed loops can be used, so no fire, CO or other normally open devices can be used on any input that is set up for zone doubling.  Zone doubling works great in a pinch, but it will make the wiring to the panel a bit messy, so be sure to label your wires and their zone number!  I think it's a 3k resistor for zones 2-8, and a 6.2k resistor for zones 2-10 when zone doubling is used.  the 2.0k resistors will not be used on doubled zones.

When it says "does not increase the total number of zones supported", that means that zone doubling does not allow you to have over 48 zones, which is the total number supported by the 20P.  I guess if you had all 48 zones used, they're saying that zone doubling cannot expand the system any further.

aznative

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 07:20:47 AM »
I have another question.

I have some hardwired PIRS installed using 4 wire cabling.   I'm thinking about moving up to DT8035 dual tec sensors. Looking at the 8035 installation manual in the link below, it looks like I should have run six wire cable.  Using the wiring instructions from the link below, can I simply jumper terminals #4&5 and watch both the tamper and the detector with two wires?

chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://safehomecentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/DT8035-Installation-Instructions.pdf

aznative

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 07:23:26 AM »
I tried the link and it will only work if you copy and paste it into the url address bar.  It may be this site or it may be the fact that it is a Chrome extension instead of the usual https://......
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 10:17:43 AM by aznative »

aznative

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 10:17:11 AM »
For interior protection I hardwired all of the interior doors with magnetic reed switches.  The family hated taking the time to make sure all 10 doors were closed.  I'm  reducing the number of these protected interior doors to two to protect the panel and one is to protect a safe.   The living room, family room/kitchen and master bedroom are protected with two PIRs per room.  The other three bedrooms will be protected with a single pir per room.  I plan on only protecting the two interior doors while out of town overnight.  With the amount of PIRS it will be hard for an intruder to get to these rooms anyway.   I plan on doing this by using partition 2.  I will program these two zones into partition 2.   I know I will need to set at least one keypad data field *190 to both partition 1 & 2 which is a "3"in the partition field.   I will simply use an assigned entry/exit code that is assigned to partition two that will have to be used to arm/disarm these two zones.  Does this sound like the best way to achieve this plan?

Thanks for all of the help

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 06:42:05 PM »
You'll be fine with 4-conductor for your motion detectors.  You're probably looking at the tamper switch contacts on another zone.  That's probably a UL burglary or mercantile requirement, but even in such locations, I've never seen them used.  If you _really_ want the tamper switch wired in, just connect it in series with the alarm relay.

Sounds like you've got your partitioning right.