Alarm Monitoring

PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

40 Guests, 1 User
aznative

Author Topic: dsc security system wired door contact not working  (Read 107 times)

jason001

• View Profile
dsc security system wired door contact not working
« on: March 06, 2019, 12:26:12 PM »
hello,

i have dsc security system installed at home pc1616. one of the wired door contacts not tripping the alarm. i turned on the chime and open back door it does not trigger. the green check mark does not go away when i open the back door. it is using one of those recessed door contacts. when i pulled the bigger part of contact which is wired and installed in door frame, it has plastic weld on the end. i don't know if tech put it there or the contact is welded due to current issues.

how else i can troubleshoot ? is replacing the door contact only fix ?

i re-programmed the security system on my own after buying the house so i am managing it on my own.

tvtech

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: dsc security system wired door contact not working
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 04:45:26 PM »
Take the switch out and remove one wire if the green light goes away, the switch is shorted.
Certified electronic technician 1969-2018 Self employed service dealer. Retired

AlarmMike

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 06:40:33 PM »
For pulling a switch out all the way potentially breaking the splice, I would try disconnected one of the leads at the panel. If this circuit opens the you'll need to carefully fish the splice out of the hole in the door frame. It is either a fused contact or compression of the door frame on the switch. The hole may need to be slightly enlarged.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:07:10 PM by AlarmMike »
1993-1995   Worked for one of the "nationals"  /  1996-Present   Independent dealer
Systems supported:   DSC, Ademco/Honeywell, ITI/GE/Interlogix
-----------------------------
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you are the world.
- Kidney transplant recipient 04/27/2011

tvtech

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 11:16:38 PM »
If you are able to get the switch out , most are installed properly with enough slack to get it out of the door jamb if installed by a good technician, and you can remove the leads and your green light is still on, the wire can be shorted somewhere between the panel and the door. If you think the wire has a short and you have access to trace the wire all the way by looking at every inch, check for a staple that may have cut into the wire causing the short. My money is still on a bad switch though .
Certified electronic technician 1969-2018 Self employed service dealer. Retired