Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

56 Guests, 1 User
ldingo

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I have an access control system already and I integrated a DSC 1864 system to work with the card readers. lol I have it setup to where you swipe your ID card on an RFID reader to toggle a relay to disarm the alarm system. A habit of mine is setting up a test-bench before installing building anything.

As for the memory cards, the engineers at DSC probably never thought memory card speed and capacity would increase. Or they used cheaper hardware because they don't need performance, they simply need it to work.
I knew I'd get through to ya eventually :P

Well need is a pretty strong word, I think they get left out of a lot of installs...Chances are pretty slim that it will ever be needed, but then again chances are pretty slim that your smoke detector will ever be needed too, so it's really degrees of safety and time, effort and cash required...

The fact that they didn't know was it was kind of scares me... that's probably why they told you that you didn't need it...

Anyway relays by themselves are a few bucks (like 1-5 depending where you source them) or you can pay a little more for a nice circuit board with the relay on it like that ELK module I linked a few posts back (I think it's like 8 bucks or something) anyway not a big investment and like I said before you poke a little hole in the wall, stick the relay in and cover it with the smoke and you don't see it.

One more thing is a lot of smoke installs that should be done with fire wire (protected and rated for high temps) are done with regular wire which can fail if a fire starts around the smoke detector therefore cutting off the zone and/or power wires to the detector before it alarms, this is rare but it's another good reason to have the relay.

No beer and No TV make Homer something something....Go Crazy?.... Don't mind if I do!
Apologies Guyfromhe, I'm getting forgetful in my old age and I'm overly focused on my own configuration where I don't have multiple smoke detectors on the same zone. Thanks for the reminder, my old brain is having an off day! My alarm installers almost had me convinced I didn't need an EOL supervision relay. I was talking to them today about the pricing for one and they didn't know what it was and insisted it definitely wasn't necessary. After thinking about it a bit and looking at the drawings I can see they're wrong and you are right. I think I'll just give my head a rest and have a beer. Can't hurt! 
Honeywell uses 345Mhz...I don't think you will ever see WiFi or Bluetooth used for any kind of security system...

WiFi requires a TON of power to keep connected to the network and takes 3-5 seconds to connect if it "sleeps" so that isn't a viable option for running off batteries unless you want to change them every 12 hours or so...

The latest Bluetooth LE standard may be able to run for up to a few months (vs 3-5 years they get with their own tech) on a set of batteries but the range is crummy so this is likely never to happen either.

You may see technologies like Zigbee and Z-wave used more in alarm sensors in the future but probably not from any mainstream companies like Honeywell or DSC who will continue to make their own technology.

You can have a newer standard on a smaller like a 1 gb SDXC card could exist (even though it doesn't) you just can't have a larger size on an older format like a 5+ gb SD (regular / SDSC) card.

The point is the reader on your keypad only understands how to read SDSC (no prefix- sc stands for standard capacity) cards, so you are limited to 2 gb cards (I am 99.9% sure you can't get a SDHC or SDXC card smaller than 4 gb)

Apparently I was wrong, it's 2 gb not 4 for the regular SD cards your keypad can read:
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/capacity/

You should get a $5 RFID reader off eBay and hook it up to your keyswitch inputs for an even more fun way to arm/disarm your system :P

Hey there, thanks for your reply. Actually, what I'm asking is specific to a wireless set up. Sensors communicate with the control panel via RF. I'm trying to determine if there is different communication medium available today that can communicate between the sensor and the control box like wifi, bluetooth, gps, or something else that replaces RF.

Are you asking if there are wireless door sensors that use Wifi or Bluetooth?

The radio frequency of a lot of home automation systems use RF bands at 433MHz or around 900MHz. Same as an old-school cordless landline phone.

Infrared is trash, avoid it altogether. Your sensors and control box will need to "see" each other to transmit and receive signals.
It's probably the size not the speed that's the issue...

1-4 GB is SD, 5-32 is SDHC and 33-2tb is SDXC.  Older and devices where the mfgr cheaped out don't support any cards over 4 gb.

The memory card definetly says 32GB SDXC. But that doesn't mean it has hidden an extra 1GB of non-allocated space. I'm not an expert on it so I really don't know haha

Gotta ask.  What are those buttons / switches mounted in the panel door under the keypad for?

This is a bench test unit that I put together over this past weekend. Parts are cheap, might as well buy two control boards haha. I'm installing one and using the other to tinker with, next year I might donate it to a trade school or something. The switches are for playing with keyswitch arm and disarm and some test zones. Nothing fancy really.
I've explained why it latches 3 times now :P I'll try again, please read:

SMOKE ALARMS LATCH FOR TROUBLESHOOTING PURPOSES.  If you have 15 smoke alarms on 1 zone and that zone trips you don't know which alarm caused it to trip if it resets itself.   If a fire zone trips and you don't do the 2nd disarm the detector that caused the alarm will still be in alarm, while the others will not.  There are probably better ways to implement this like keeping a light on that unit until someone pushes a button on it or something but this is the direction the industry decided to go.

If this isn't clear see the other 3 times I explained it in this thread in different words....

Non latching as you have learned are easy to wire, but not a good idea if you have more than 1 detector per zone and don't like false call out charges from the fire dept.

Untrue, since it's Normally Open it's open if it's powered or not so your panel will neve know... Your panel will let them know if it's lost AC or is running low on it's battery but it won't tell them if your smoke alarms lost connection to the aux power.

Life Safety devices are tricky, there's different codes, laws, rules and certifications in Canada and the US so getting stuff that's not certified by your country probably won't be sold through a legitimate dealer...   In all likelyhood it's pretty much the same thing because Canada and the US don't vary that much in any of those things...
Give us Your Input on this Forum / Re: Looking for help as ADMIN?
« Last post by Guyfromhe on Today at 02:09:15 AM »
I'm around a lot, I wouldn't mind helping out if you want me....
I found out my alarm company uses the following 4 wire smoke detectors. http://systemsensor.ca/literature/A05-283.pdf     It apparently is an non latching smoke alarm device that doesn't need a power kill to reset it. This greatly simplifies the wiring by eliminating the need to purchase and program a resetting relay. I was unaware that this kind of alternate choice still existed. I still don't understand the purpose of latching versus non latching and I'm hoping someone can clarify this for me? They also told me they don't use an EOL power supervision relay because if there is a problem with the power the vista will detect it and report it to the monitoring station. Not sure about this one because if there was a problem with the auxilliary 12 VDC bus what would this mean for the communications. Loss of AC power certainly does get reported and annunciated on the keypad as I've experienced this first hand. Not needing an EOL supervision relay would mean no nuisance trouble alarm when doing a fire alarm reset through the keypad. Also this particular model seems to be available only in Canada as I couldn't find it on the US site. There was other non latching self resetting models on the US site however.   
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10