PPC Ad

Trustpilot Badge >

Women's Self Defense

Women's Self Defense

Members Online

141 Guests, 0 Users

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I would expect a flashing fire led on a factory board that has to EOL resistor attached, but the fact that you tried 2 keypads and neither seems to get a reaction from the panel implies to me that the panel isn't receiving data - probably a bad board, but you are there and I am here, making this a simple guess based on limited information.

We recycle boards from system cancellations, but wen we run out of inventory we always purchase new boards.  Given their price, we can spend more than the cost of buying new simply testing boards purchased from others.

Unless you really needed more than 2 partitions, 48 zones and so on the NX8-V2 is likely adequate for your needs.
3. It doesn't matter wat partition the keypad is in from the perspective of programming the zones.  The partition is defined as part of the zone specification.  It is specified in the second segment of the zone type - if the partition isn't selected the zone will be ignored by that partition.

There are a number of wireless parameters for each learned zone.  For each zone there are the following bit oriented values (get the definitions from the relevant manual):

- 1 - Enable sensor 􀂆 (default = off)
- 2 - Supervised 􀂆 (default = on)
- 3 - Fire supervision 􀂆 (default = off)
- 4 - Input option 1 􀂆 (default = off)
- 5 - Input option 2 􀂆 (default = off)

4. In the roughly 20 years I've been installing these things I've not once actually used the walk test.

OK, so you defaulted the system.  Did you default the keypad at the same time?

And, the fact that the motion apparently gets learned by the system implies that the problem is in programming - you can get sync errors, because each module (keypad, power supply, radio receiver, cellular radio and so on) is pretty much independent in the Networx system - it's actually really neat how they do things because they can come up with new hardware, like the IP card, for example because of this.

But it also means that sometimes if you've defaulted one device and not another that things won't react as you expect.

The rule I use is that if we change something we default everything and reload the system.  Simple to do (if it takes a while) at 300 baud - much faster with the IP card installed, or locally from a PC.

Perfect - thanks again for your helpful posts!
Here are pictures of 6150 and 6160.

The 6160 display is an Ahpha display

Awesome - thanks!
I assume I have a 6150 - how could I tell?
They are likely the "standard" keypad for a residential system?
So you are suggesting there would be no real reason not to just keep my Vista 15P?
The only thing that I have read is that some alarm companies lock them out if they stop monitoring?
I guess if that happens I just go with a DSC?

Your choice if your 15P is locked out.

All your hard wired contacts, smoke detectors and motion detectors should be compatible with any brand.

My daughter had a monitored 15P and when she bought the house the company remotely cancelled it. It was not locked out. I was able to reprogram it fine.

Personally if I had a 15P that was locked out Id buy a 20P, and use the same metal case/can and just swap the board. All wires will connect to the same screw contacts so that makes the swap easy.

I actually replaced the DSC in my current home with a 20P since I was very familiar with programming the Vista. I used all the existing hard wired contacts. 

We just started selling iOtega and so far so good.  There is no local programming which sucks but the Securenet portal works well.
Needed to quickly pick up a spare NX-8E panel for work, so took a chance on eBay and picked up on for $40. Got the panel, connected power supply and an new NX-148E keypad. When I power it up, all I see is the fire LED flashing rapidly and the word SERVICE in the display. Stays on for a few
seconds, goes blank and repeats. Tried an LED keypad and service light stays lit while fires flashed rapidly. No other keys are lit on either keypad and there is no response when pressing keys.
Did I lose out and get a bad board? Unfortunately this was sold as is. Looked pretty decent in original box with all packing material, resistors , etc. Thanks for any assistance.

Mark
A couple of points:

1. Location 594 does nothing on any panel in the series except the NX8e - because the receiver in the keypad is 48 zones (as is also the NX-548e), there is no point to setting the zone bank number for panels with 48 and fewer zones, so the NX 4/6/8 V2 simply ignore the value, though there is no harm in setting it.  The NX8e, which can handle 192 zones is why that value exists.
Good to know. Thanks. That is not clearly explained in the documentation.

2. The receiver stores the wireless the serial number and wireless options (such as supervisory settings) for the learned zones.  All manipulation of how the zone interacts is done in the panel itself (device 0), allowing for a common programing experience for both wired and wireless zones.
Makes sense.

3. Based on what you wrote you seem to have chosen the zone types properly and you've indicated that the wireless contacts are working properly.  Could it be that you have those zones you've programmed the motion detectors into in the wrong (or no) partition or that you've messed with the wireless parameters?
I used device number 192 which should be partition 1, keypad 1, correct? What wireless parameters are your referring to?

Be aware that motion detectors are not continuously-on devices;  They watch for movement, then send a signal on detection of movement then will go to sleep for 3 minutes, ignoring any activity in front of them for the next 180 seconds as a battery conservation feature.  Could it simply be that you are expecting reports that are not being sent because the detectors are in their quiet mode?
So does this mean that someone could potentially walk past a PIR for 3 minutes while the system is armed and it never trips? I definitely did not wait a full 3 minutes after arming the system when walking past the PIRs to attempt to trigger them.

4. What you described was the walk test function, though the chime LED does not flash and the volume you hear depends on how you've set the *0 which controls tone volume.

The regular chime feature does not flash the chime button either.  When the feature is enabled in the keypad programming and has been activated by pressing the chime button the chime LED illuminates.  When a chime-enabled zone (by default the interior zone types are not chime-enabled)  is tripped while the keypad chime mode is active the NX-148e will chirp the 2-tone chime.  The chime LED does not flash.  Note that you can adjust beep tone/volume using the *0 sequence and then the up and down arrow keys.
I saw a video youtube where a guy enabled the walk test, and his chime LED began to flash. Volume isn't an issue as the first PIR is about 15 feet from the keypad.

Having written all this stuff, you indicated that this is a takeover.  Why are you learning ANYTHING into the system?  It should have been set up before, even if the previous installer managed to put up the motions upside down.  When you went to learn in the zones did the keypad respond as you would have expected?  A transmitter already in the system cannot be learned a second time - did the keypad chirp when you tried to enroll the motion detectors?  Did the keypad complain (3 fast beeps) when you went to learn in the zone numbers?  You need to delete the data in a zone before learning in the new.

I did a default on the system because originally one motion in the sub level reporting as the first floor motion. Zone numbers were skipped, and one motion wasn't registering at all (still not sure it's even compatible as I was unable to learn it in.) I figured with all of this I may as well start from scratch so I knew it's correct and educate myself on the system in the process. The process I used:
Step 1: *8+program code
Step 2: Device Number: 192#
Step 3: Location: 400
Step 4: Entered Zone Number: 09
Step 5: Tripped tamper switch on PIR by removing PIR from wall mount
Step 6: Keypad makes *Ding Dong* sound
Step 7: Re-installed PIR
Back to Step 3 for each additional PIR & Door Contact

One thing most people don't realise is that by default the low battery test is disabled.  You can change that by entering a non-zero value (I usually set it to 15 minutes) in segment 1 of location 40.
Thanks, I will make sure this is set when I go back out.
Hello, new to the group, I tried searching and I found an old topic that matches my issue but not enough info on it.  I have a Gemini P801 controller and a P800 Keypad. This was original to the house when we moved in in 2005.  After the second battery had died and since it was not being monitored I finally got tired of having to reset it after every storm went through so I just uplugged it and did without.  So long story short I decided to give it a new battery and get the system up an running.  After replacing the battery and plugging the panel in all I get is a growl from the alarm horn and a flashing keypad (all zone LEDs and the status/arm LEDs flash about once every second or so.)  I thought maybe the new battery needed to charge or something so I disconnected the the alarm horn and left the system plugged in for a long time.. (an hour or so) and then unplugged and disconnected the battery and then plugged it all back in.  But the flashing continues.

I took my DVM to the panel and measured the correct input voltage (16 VAC) from the transformer, the battery was reading about 13Vdc and I read 19.8 Vdc on the keypad bus power wires (which seems high to me.)  But I can't find any information on what voltages I should be seeing on the terminals or the pc board. 

I don't know if I have a bad panel/bad keypad or if having left it un-powered for so long messed it up.  Any advice would be appreciated.  I am not sure why it would have gone bad.  We did get a small lighting strike to the house but the panel was not plugged in at the time and does not look damaged.  I suppose the lightning could have surged through the sensor wires and fried the board but it looks fine and without a path to ground (not plugged in) I don't see why the surge would even go to the panel.   

I looked in replacing the system but since we don't bother with getting it monitored, I am not sure its worth the money. We really were only planning on using it for door chime and helping us know when we had a window open without walking through the house.   
A couple of points:

1. Location 594 does nothing on any panel in the series except the NX8e - because the receiver in the keypad is 48 zones (as is also the NX-548e), there is no point to setting the zone bank number for panels with 48 and fewer zones, so the NX 4/6/8 V2 simply ignore the value, though there is no harm in setting it.  The NX8e, which can handle 192 zones is why that value exists.

2. The receiver stores the wireless the serial number and wireless options (such as supervisory settings) for the learned zones.  All manipulation of how the zone interacts is done in the panel itself (device 0), allowing for a common programing experience for both wired and wireless zones.

3. Based on what you wrote you seem to have chosen the zone types properly and you've indicated that the wireless contacts are working properly.  Could it be that you have those zones you've programmed the motion detectors into in the wrong (or no) partition or that you've messed with the wireless parameters?

Be aware that motion detectors are not continuously-on devices;  They watch for movement, then send a signal on detection of movement then will go to sleep for 3 minutes, ignoring any activity in front of them for the next 180 seconds as a battery conservation feature.  Could it simply be that you are expecting reports that are not being sent because the detectors are in their quiet mode?

4. What you described was the walk test function, though the chime LED does not flash and the volume you hear depends on how you've set the *0 which controls tone volume.

The regular chime feature does not flash the chime button either.  When the feature is enabled in the keypad programming and has been activated by pressing the chime button the chime LED illuminates.  When a chime-enabled zone (by default the interior zone types are not chime-enabled)  is tripped while the keypad chime mode is active the NX-148e will chirp the 2-tone chime.  The chime LED does not flash.  Note that you can adjust beep tone/volume using the *0 sequence and then the up and down arrow keys.

Having written all this stuff, you indicated that this is a takeover.  Why are you learning ANYTHING into the system?  It should have been set up before, even if the previous installer managed to put up the motions upside down.  When you went to learn in the zones did the keypad respond as you would have expected?  A transmitter already in the system cannot be learned a second time - did the keypad chirp when you tried to enroll the motion detectors?  Did the keypad complain (3 fast beeps) when you went to learn in the zone numbers?  You need to delete the data in a zone before learning in the new.

One thing most people don't realise is that by default the low battery test is disabled.  You can change that by entering a non-zero value (I usually set it to 15 minutes) in segment 1 of location 40.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10